Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Underwater Portraits

Here are a couple of photos from a gig I shot yesterday which I thought you guys might like.
Shot with a 5D2 body, 17-40L lens and a universal DSLR underwater housing (like a giant zip-lock back with a lens tube and little sleeves for your fingers to poke through). It was extremely cumbersome to use and basically impossible to look through the viewfinder, so my keeper rate was low. But when I dud get a good shot, it was a really good shot. Smile

[Image: i-wRnkgDf-L.jpg]

[Image: i-bJhK6wZ-L.jpg]

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Your models look to be really enjoying it, and the photo's are exceptional. Colour casts are difficult underwater, along with focus, so well done.
I also found the viewfinders or wire frames very difficult to use.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great stuff as always, Kombi. In addition to the colors and clarity, the bubbles really make the day.

"Here's my Family, shortly before little Timmy drowned!"

Just kidding, great shots, love the 2nd one.

haha..

Thanks guys Smile

Adrian Broughton

These are phenomenal. An excellent example of hard work paying off.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

These are terrific! You're going to have some fun with that underwater rig!

These are spectacular. Somebody paid you to do these?

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

awesome!

Thanks.

Slej, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into doing more underwater shooting. I want to make some waterproof strobe enclosures and work on underwater portraits... It's possible to do amazing underwater portraits in a pool, and not many people are doing it.
I'd also love to get into scuba and get some underwater shots along Western Australia's lovely coastline as well. Sad

Don, yes it was a paid gig for a local government client for an advertising campaign to increase engagement of the community in their council services and activities. The public swimming pool these shots were taken at is one of the services they provide.

Adrian Broughton

Fantastic shots Adrian... really well done. Would you be able to post some final pics once they get published?

Also, can you tell us more about the setup? Were you shooting vertically from the bottom of the pool, and then getting people to jump in?

How did you stay on underwater? Just pure determination? Big Grin Big Grin

Great shots Adrian - love the second one.

Canon stuff.

(Mar 31, 2012, 07:31)Kombisaurus Wrote:  I'd also love to get into scuba and get some underwater shots along Western Australia's lovely coastline as well.

This is quite interesting to me as I am planning to tour Australia in 2013, and snorkeling on the West coast is high on my list of things to do (and sharks be damned). Any recommendations would be welcome.

Toad, recommendations:
1. Don't act like a seal.
2. Swim with other people (preferably ones who swim slower than you!)
3. Don't worry too much about it. While shark attacks are certainly on the increase here in recent years (thanks to the fact they are becoming less endangered), you are still far, far more likely to drown or get run over while going to the beach than you are get attacked by a shark. There are far more important things to worry about, like the crocodiles, snakes, spiders, and bunyips... hahaha.. kidding.. ..mostly.

I can personally state that I've never been eaten by a shark, crocodile, or snake. And I've only been nibbled on by a bunyip.

Having said that, there are plenty of beautiful Australian coastlines where there is no danger of shark attacks. It seems that most of the WA shark attacks are around Perth and in the south-west of the state, while the best snorkelling is probably up north (Monkey Mia, Ningaloo reef, etc).
But outside of WA, the Great Barrier Reef for example has plenty of reef sharks which are cool to look at, but there has never been a reported shark fatality there AFAIK. And it is a massive area, and a *lot* of people go diving there.

If you do intend to go snorkelling around Monkey Mia, Shark Bay, and Ningaloo Reef (which would all be fantastic!) keep in mind it is all around 1200km away from Perth, taking 12+ hours to drive there with not much civilization along the way. If you like long drives and wide-open spaces, you'll love it. If you're easily bored on the road, you'll probably hate it. Be careful driving at dusk and night, avoid it if you can. The kangaroos can be BIG and will damage your car if you hit one (speaking from experience). Kalbarri is a nice place to stay for the night along the way. Geralton is... umm.. not quite as nice.
I still haven't done much exploring through far north WA, but going travelling up there is a real adventure. The distances are vast, but it is like nowhere else I know. There are some amazing things tucked away up there.

Adrian Broughton

Thanks Kombi. I'm not at all concerned about sharks. When I used to scuba dive, I saw lots of them, and I never got eaten either - so not really an issue.

Ningaloo is on my list, but many things in Aus are also on my list, so I need to play a few games with timing to fit it all in. Still in planning stage right now, but preliminary itinerary is starting to look like Australia, Bali, India, Laos, and Japan.

...and yes - I do realize that is all over the map, but that is what the dreaming/planning process is designed to flush out...

(Apr 2, 2012, 14:54)Toad Wrote:  Ningaloo is on my list, but many things in Aus are also on my list, so I need to play a few games with timing to fit it all in. Still in planning stage right now, but preliminary itinerary is starting to look like Australia, Bali, India, Laos, and Japan.

Ooo, fantastic! Hope you are able to make it down to Melbourne again - would love to catch up!

I went to the great barrier reef a few years ago, and it's fantastic for snorkelling and scuba. I got to swim right up to and touch a giant maori wrasse which was really memorable.

Yeah one drawback about Australia is that it's just such a large country - especially in the west coast where there can be literally hundreds or thousands of km's between attractions...

Toad, if you're pressed for time then you can probably squeeze more in by staying on Australia's east coast.
The west is definately unique and worth seeing, but the distances required are much greater so you might not get to see as many highlights. And fuel is expensive in remote areas (I was paying over $2 a litre crossing the nullabor).

Having said that, I love the sense of adventure that comes from travelling long distances through remote areas. My slow bike ride across Australia and trans-siberian train ride are memories I cherish and things I would do again in a heartbeat. Destinations are overrated and journeys are underrated in my mind.

The rest of your itinerary looks great too. Interesting choice of countries. I've heard great things about Laos, but most people tend to visit Vietnam or Cambodia instead. And please don't judge all Australians by the ones you see in Bali. I recommend staying up in the mountains a bit (ie Ubud) away from the main tourist drag (Kuta, Legian, etc). I'd love to go to both Japan and India.

Of course there will be a cold beer or three with your name on it if you swing past my place. Smile

Adrian Broughton

(Apr 2, 2012, 17:58)shuttertalk Wrote:  Ooo, fantastic! Hope you are able to make it down to Melbourne again - would love to catch up!

Count on it, Jules. I loved Melbourne when I was there before, and would love to see you guys again.

(Apr 2, 2012, 17:58)shuttertalk Wrote:  Yeah one drawback about Australia is that it's just such a large country - especially in the west coast where there can be literally hundreds or thousands of km's between attractions...

But getting there is half the fun, yes?

(Apr 2, 2012, 21:56)Kombisaurus Wrote:  Toad, if you're pressed for time then you can probably squeeze more in by staying on Australia's east coast.
The west is definately unique and worth seeing, but the distances required are much greater so you might not get to see as many highlights. And fuel is expensive in remote areas (I was paying over $2 a litre crossing the nullabor).

Its always a possibility to stay exclusively in the east - we are just in the planning stage, and what we do in Australia depends to large extent on how many other things we try to accomplish. Plans are literally all over the map right now. Having said that, I've always fancied taking that long train ride from east to west, and it has always felt to me like the west is the "real" Australia (sorry Jules).

(Apr 2, 2012, 21:56)Kombisaurus Wrote:  Destinations are overrated and journeys are underrated in my mind.

I have to agree - although I also feel the need to anchor my journeys with destinations.

(Apr 2, 2012, 21:56)Kombisaurus Wrote:  Of course there will be a cold beer or three with your name on it if you swing past my place. Smile

After thousands of dusty kilometers, I am sure that a beer or three would go down a treat...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Sep 3, 2015, 08:55
Last Post by alessya
Feb 12, 2013, 03:19