Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

...and another

Both pics are around Tal-y-Llyn in Snowdonia. This is a downsampling of a 40 megapixel image made by mosaicing a few together and blending with Enblend.
[Image: IdrisRSE%20copy%203.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

This is beautiful too, but I like the other one much better. Mind you, the bw postprocessing is flawless. What disturbs me in this picture is that there's not much going on in the sky, and the house is too centered. Oops wrong section! Tongue

What an impressive landscape anyway! Reminds me of "The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain", except that these are "real" mountains. I love it.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

The house looks like its just waiting for a giant boulder to roll on through it...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Wow, another "love to have been there" shot. The full size pic must be impressive! Big Grin

This is simply stunning Zig! The subtlety, restraint and detail tucked away here is phenomonal.
And I'm not just being nice because you wrote nice things about me yesterday Wink Tongue

I remember when I took a large panorama (50mpixel) of a spectacular scene last year (Branco's Lookout at El Questro)... It had sooooo much detail tucked away that I lost when displaying it at a small size... I can only imagine how this shot of yours must look blown up. The sheep, the house, the rock detail and light on top of the hill. Big Grin Fantastic.
This photo NEEDS to be printed big.... 24x16" as a minimum. And being 40mpixel it should go bigger no problem.

I like the way you seem to have opened up the shadows a bit, yet you haven't made the image look washed out in the slightest or upset the contrast. The slightly light tones of the grass on the mountain just look beautiful.
As G says, the sky isn't doing much... but then it doesn't need to. It doesn't make up much of the photo, and all the action is happening on the ground anyway. With the limited dynamic range of DSLR's and the fact you also needed to expose for some deep shadows in the mountain, it would've been extremely difficult to retain much detail in the sky without losing it in the shadows - especially with a multi-shot panorama series like this.
I also quite like the house being centered rather than sitting on a 1/3 line. The rule of thirds is only a suggestion, not a rule. Big Grin There is plenty going on in the shot, and having the house where it is helps emphasize the solidity, mass, and stability of everything in the shot I think. It provides the centre for this little "universe". And the way the lines of trees, fences, and ridges all seem to point towards the house is amazing.

I think this is my favourite shot from you. The more I look at it the more I see in it.
Thanks for posting Smile

(And by the looks of it you had a nice trip - certainly I would've enjoyed being in amongst all that).

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I notice in the middle of the pic - on the left side of the house, that there's a lighter patch of trees... is that to do with the stitching? Regardless, I'd consider dodging it a bit to blend in... Big Grin

No Jules, that's a patch of sunlight. As an aside, I found the best way to keep on top of the dynamic range was to use Raw Shooter Essentials for the conversion and keep exposure on the "over" side, cos of the way that digi seems to work. I kept shadow and highlight contrast well down so as to have something to "go at" after conversion.
(Kombi, though my Englishness forbids us to accelerate to mutual stroking, I have to say that it was actually your very own pano/mosaics thta got me started on this thought-train a good few months ago)Smile

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

As I mentioned before, I really like this kind of shots. Smile Can you imagine the life in the house which is in the middle of the picture?

Zig Wrote:Kombi, though my Englishness forbids us to accelerate to mutual stroking...
yes, yes, yes...<mutter> <mutter>
enough of this gratuity.. lets change the subject!

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin Tongue

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Good grief! :o

It's a good thing your PC is dealing with these jewels. Mine would have flat refused to work with such big files. :mad:
Blimey.....:| It's certainly working in every way though, isnt it! Smile

Cave canem

Zig:

I am not sure that I commented on any of your recent superb B&Ws. If not, it is an oversight caused by overwork. Keep up the great work, my man - these are really really good.