Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

broad wings

great blue herons have huge wingspans, often over 6 feet, yet they weigh less than 8 pounds! with all that lift and so little weight, it's no wonder they can soar so gracefully!

[Image: IMG_1201sm-1.jpg]

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Wow, nice angle! Where were you standing in relation and how did you manage to capture it from above?

Wow - great point of view for this shot. You were up on some rocks on the shore, yes?

(Feb 25, 2012, 07:20)shuttertalk Wrote:  Wow, nice angle! Where were you standing in relation and how did you manage to capture it from above?

(Feb 25, 2012, 12:23)Toad Wrote:  Wow - great point of view for this shot. You were up on some rocks on the shore, yes?

thanks, guys! i was standing on a viewing platform built out about 4 feet above the water, and the heron flew by in front of me about 50 feet away...

~ Rocky

It is a good angle, and plenty of feather detail.

A friend on another forum has a colony of herons (30-40) nesting within a few minutes of his home in south Wales.
He gets some interesting shots where they have twigs and things for the nest and aerial shots but nearly all are above him. Occasionally he gets some on the river nearby. His photos sometimes get to the weather stations on TV.
My only heron was taken in the maldives and as it was partial to fish and the fishermen fed it I could get quite close on the couple of occasions I remembered. I mean the beach and snorkelling was a first choice. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Feb 25, 2012, 20:19)NT73 Wrote:  It is a good angle, and plenty of feather detail.

A friend on another forum has a colony of herons (30-40) nesting within a few minutes of his home in south Wales.
He gets some interesting shots where they have twigs and things for the nest and aerial shots but nearly all are above him. Occasionally he gets some on the river nearby. His photos sometimes get to the weather stations on TV.
My only heron was taken in the maldives and as it was partial to fish and the fishermen fed it I could get quite close on the couple of occasions I remembered. I mean the beach and snorkelling was a first choice. Smile

great blues like this one are common here, and there are several nesting areas within a few miles of me. they do use sticks to make the shell of their nests, and line it with feathers, moss, stuff like that, to make it softer. the nests can get quite large, often 4-6 feet across. i've got some shots of both nests and some heron chicks (they look a bit like baby pterodactyls), as well as mama feeding the young ones. quite fascinating, really...

~ Rocky

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Apr 1, 2011, 01:13
Last Post by nia
Mar 23, 2010, 16:41
Last Post by Keith Alan
Nov 11, 2006, 18:27