Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

camera shake

I'm having a few problems with long exposures. I always get camera shake. I am using a wireless remote, mirror lock is on and it's a pretty sturdy tripod and yet I get camera shake and very blurred images. I've tried everything I can to ensure there's no camera shake and yet I still get blurred shots when I try macro photography.
Camera is Canon 70D and lens Tamron 90mm macro.
I've had to resort to doing everything via flash or with very wide apertures handheld.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Do you switch off Auto Focus?

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Richard, is your Tamron lens the Di VC version? If so, the VC must be switched off when the camera is tripod mounted.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Have you tried taking a series of photographs, on the tripod, from handheld speeds to long exposures? If so, when does the blur kick in?
With really long exposures, a bit of movement as the shutter opens and closes should not be too much of an issue, as the amount of light admitted at these brief moments should barely register on the image. That is why I am wondering if the Auto Focus is hunting, or even just vibrating, during the long exposures.

(Sep 21, 2016, 08:19)GrahamS Wrote:  Richard, is your Tamron lens the Di VC version? If so, the VC must be switched off when the camera is tripod mounted.
I wondered that too, but it is not a lens I am familiar with.

I actually have both versions of that lens - will be selling the older one.
I've tried it with the vibration control off and on. Same problem. It's not a focus problem, though the lens is set to manual focus. So it's not hunting during the exposure.
I will try the different exposure lengths and get back to you.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Richard

Richard - you write that you have done everything you can to eliminate camera shake, and that you have tried VC both on and off, but you still get "very blurred images". There would appear to be nothing else left to cause that effect other than either relative movement between the subject and the camera during exposure or a lens focusing issue. Considering the latter, is the camera pointing downwards over the subject - and if so, could the focusing mechanism in the lens be drifting due to gravity?

Cheers.
Philip

Good point Philip.

You say you have two lenses. Does it do it with them both?

Is the "blur" directional = camera movement, or is it omnidirectional = focus?

What software are you using to view the images? Does the blur appear if you view the images in all environments i.e. in an image viewer and in editing software?

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

I have the older version of that lens and it's a stunner. Have you tried it a non macro shot? When focussed really close the slightest movement can show up.

Hi Richard,
Are your macro shots indoor or outdoor?
The slightest air movement would send the shot out of focus. In my opinion, an outdoor macro shot with long exposure would be very difficult, if not impossible.
If this is where the problem stems from, then the experts on the site may be able to assist.
It may help if you could post an image with exif data.
Cheers,
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Some modern buildings shake much more than you might think.

Are you inside and off the ground floor? A tripod is a rigid connection to the building, while hand held puts you in the system to damp things.

Define, Long Exposure. Ed.

To each his own!

I thank you for all the suggestions. I knew I came to the right place for advice!
And I finally nailed the problem! WDHewson came closest to the answer. I live in an older apartment building and buried somewhere in the plumbing is an airlock. With all the pipes banging , even though I can't hear it, and probably some of the other sources of vibration like the elevators and washing machines, t with all that the floor is vibrating quite a bit, though I have never felt it. Took pictures at 3am when everyone is in bed and they are nice and sharp. Guess I'm going to have a few late nights!
Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post