Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

dragons!

these little fellas can be tricky to capture in flight... takes a lot of patience and a good measure of luck!  

[Image: IMG_8555sm.jpg]

[Image: flyingdragon_filtered.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8554sm.jpg]

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Impressive. What sort of lens did you use for this? I would be interested in hearing a bit about your technique.

(Mar 1, 2012, 00:10)Toad Wrote:  Impressive. What sort of lens did you use for this? I would be interested in hearing a bit about your technique.

thanks, Toad. these were shot with a Sigma EX80-400 lens at focal lengths between 200 and 400mm, f/5.6. the trick is to watch their flight patterns... dragons will often fly in a more or less regular pattern, returning to the same places numerous times, and will sometimes hover for 2-3 seconds. by aiming the lens at one of their "repeat" locations, it's fairly easy to catch them in the viewfinder, and if you're ready for them, there's enough time for the AF to lock on and get a shot.

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

(Feb 29, 2012, 21:43)squirl033 Wrote:  these little fellas can be tricky to capture in flight... takes a lot of patience and a good measure of luck!  

[Image: IMG_8555sm.jpg]

[Image: flyingdragon_filtered.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8554sm.jpg]

Beautiful work!

When you say you point at their regular locations, how long (in total) did you spend getting these shots? I assume quite a while but you make it sound easy.

Thanks for the tips, rocky. These photos are a real tour de force.

I tried this too but your shots are great. Mine were not. Good work.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I have one a little larger, but it is deceased.

I found one on a wall in a nature reserve, but as I set my tripod up I was overwhelmed with photographers (like the paperazzi with a pop diva.) I got nudged, elbowed and pushed, so the end result was not so good.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Feb 19, 2005, 01:36