Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

external microphone

Is it ok to attach a shure PA mike to my 700d when taking videos
or is there a special type of mike you need to use. might be a silly
question but i just dont know. need help.

thanks for any help out there. hugh.

Hugh,

Do you mean something like a SM57 or 58? Or maybe a capacitor mic like a Beta87A. Although where you would get a 48V phantom power supply for the cap-mic from I don't know. One thing to ask yourself is, is the polar pattern sufficiently unidirectional and what is the required sensitivity to drive the camera's audio circuit?

As I understand it, Senhauser do a very good range of mics specifically aimed at the video camera market. Maybe you would be best advised to look in that direction. The thing to remember with the SM57/58 route is that these are primarily stage mics which are ALSO used in recording studios, they are therefore designed to withstand high sound pressure levels (SPL). This also means that they are by design, not very sensitive, and don't pick up well at any great distance. So if sensitivity is what you require, you might be better placed looking at a ribbon mic such as a Beyer M160 or M260.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Phil.

(Jan 15, 2014, 16:05)Phil J Wrote:  Hugh,

Do you mean something like a SM57 or 58? Or maybe a capacitor mic like a Beta87A. Although where you would get a 48V phantom power supply for the cap-mic from I don't know. One thing to ask yourself is, is the polar pattern sufficiently unidirectional and what is the required sensitivity to drive the camera's audio circuit?

As I understand it, Senhauser do a very good range of mics specifically aimed at the video camera market. Maybe you would be best advised to look in that direction. The thing to remember with the SM57/58 route is that these are primarily stage mics which are ALSO used in recording studios, they are therefore designed to withstand high sound pressure levels (SPL). This also means that they are by design, not very sensitive, and don't pick up well at any great distance. So if sensitivity is what you require, you might be better placed looking at a ribbon mic such as a Beyer M160 or M260.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Phil.

Thanks Phil will check them out,

Hi

I use a Rode Videomic Pro

This plugs directly into your camera and has a gain switch so you can boost low signals and also attenuate loud sounds. Light weight very good quality. It fits into standard hot shoe.

Mike
(Jan 15, 2014, 14:57)canon400d Wrote:  Is it ok to attach a shure PA mike to my 700d when taking videos
or is there a special type of mike you need to use. might be a silly
question but i just dont know. need help.

thanks for any help out there. hugh.

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

Optics4Birding is your one-stop source for quality binoculars, spotting scopes, and related products. Our site features comprehensive binocular reviews, spotting scope reviews and other product reviews. Informative sections tell you how to choose binoculars, how binoculars and spotting scopes work, about digiscoping, caring for your optics, about night vision and much more. Located in Irvine, CA.

(Jan 15, 2014, 16:05)Phil J Wrote:  Hugh,

As I understand it, Senhauser do a very good range of mics specifically aimed at the video camera market. Maybe you would be best advised to look in that direction mutuelles professionnelle. The thing to remember with the SM57/58 route is that these are primarily stage mics which are ALSO used in recording studios, they are therefore designed to withstand high sound pressure levels (SPL). This also means that they are by design, not very sensitive, and don't pick up well at any great distance. So if sensitivity is what you require, you might be better placed looking at a ribbon mic such as a Beyer M160 or M260.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Phil.
I'm sure we can find something interesting in all of this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by pixbyjnjphotos
Apr 19, 2015, 22:27