Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

fixative/sealants for inkjets

I've noticed when framing in the past that inkjet prints stick to the glass (solved sorta by laminating them)

Now that I'm doing my own bigger prints and not having them done at the lab I've come across the problem again, do any of you know of any good products to spray seal inkjet prints?

I know there are some out there for gloss, matte and uv treated for longer life but can't find them down here.

Hm... interesting. Never really given it much though, although at the Kodak Focus Event I attended a while back, they were touting that their new Professional Papers had great archival qualities blah blah, but did not mention any special requirements for framing behind glass.

I wonder whether document laminators would do the trick?

Well I rang the place I bought the printer from and they don't sell that kind of thing they touted that the ultra chrome inks don't require such things, well yeah great if I had bought an Epson printer I would have been set Wink

I don't about different papers, so far I've used the Canon, Epson and Ilford papers and they all still have the same sticky fascination for glass.

Tested "Westart Crystal Clear" and "Westart Matte" and they aren't too bad, matte has a good texture to it, crystal clear needs to be coated fairly thickly or it looks patchy and stays a bit sticky, easy enough to use though but boy do they stink!

No naked flames kids!

J-dood, I know exactly what you need. I have used Krylon Clear acyclic Coating. There are a few products that Krylon has that do the same thing. Here is another,
http://www.krylon.com/main/product_templ...ct_details
You'll find that most of the clear coatings for paper do the same thing. It dries with a finish that doesn't seem that it would stick to anything. I've used it on images and have sprayed 100's of brochures that I've made. They were stacked and boxed afterward and never stuck together.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Hey thanks Colin! That is actually the product I have, it mentions it on the can, I'd say its manufactured down here by a different company. It just takes a bit of practice, looks like great stuff though.

Just like any type of spray paint you must spray in thin coats. Especially on paper or it will cause the paper to curl.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Ever considered dye sub J? I think they put on clear coat for protection automatically... Just a thought... Smile

shuttertalk Wrote:Ever considered dye sub J? I think they put on clear coat for protection automatically... Just a thought... Smile

I think you're trying to be funny ST, I can't tell! The cheapest A3 dye sub printer that I know of is the Fuji and that starts at $5,000 US

The prints coming out now are awesome, they look as good as the shots from the lab, I'm using A3 Ilford paper and its worth that little bit extra. I did look into a large ink dispenser (set of tanks that sit on the side of the printer) for $350 US it comes with 8 ink tanks and all the little cartridges with hoses attached. Works out to be a good price in the long run, would have to calibrate to suit the new ink brand though.