Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

gone wire less

Hi everyone

I recently got a few little wireless toys...used.
I do not know anything about networks and internet connections, but..i have

1. netgear dg834g v2
2.netgear wireless router wgr614 v4
3. netgear pci adapter wg311t

I have connect the adsl netgear dg834g v2 to my pc and it is working and I can connect also my wife laptop wireless to the net.

Now, what the other stuff do? can I connect the router to the adsl so that i can access the laptop from my pc?
I have no idea about this, can anyone point me to the right direction please.

thanks

Be aware that the next door neighbor can tap in to your PC via wireless technology and run you gambling debts up as well. So make sure you log on and log off to your PC.
So I understand anyway.:|

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

You need to do more than log on/off with wireless. Contact your service provider for more information - quick smart!

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Ok...

The dg834g and the wgr614 do essentially the same thing so you don't need both. If you can both get on the net through the dg834g then you will be able to see each others computers, you will probably have to enable sharing though. As for security you need to secure the network with a WEP key. Write this down as you will then need to enter it on both the PC and the laptop. It is also advisable to lock the network down to specific MAC addresses. I would suggest finding a friend who is tech savvy and getting them to help.

Hope you understood that!

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

Hey Christian,

Cool! Wireless is certainly one of the conveniences of modern technology...

You are correct - you plug in the adsl modem to your router via the ethernet cable, and the router should be able to share the connection wirelessly.

The approach I would take is to first try and get everything working via ethernet first - i.e. plug your computer into the router via ethernet cable and make sure you can surf the net, before trying to configure the wireless bit.

You will need to set up the router as well - see your owners manual, but usually there's a router configuration page which you access via your browser. Usually there's an automatic configuration wizard or something similar which you can use, but you need to configure stuff such as a dhcp server, dns, your wireless network ID, encryption key and other things.... ooo joy. Big Grin

If you can get someone who knows what they are doing to help you, it would make life very much easier. Big Grin

thanks much appreciated