Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

help for zoom

what is the best? a 6 mp 10x zoom or 10 mp 3x zoom?

Hi riche... it's hard to answer the question without any context. If I were to answer just based on those two factors alone, I would take the 6mp with 10x zoom because there is no substitute for the reach of a long optical zoom. Sure, you can crop a 10mp image and blow it up to get an "equivalent", but the perspective will not be the same and you will lose detail in doing so. Plus, provided it is a good camera, 6mp is plenty - don't get sucked into the numbers game and buy a camera based on the number of megapixels alone.

Further questions you need to ask yourself are:
1. What are you going to use it for? General happy snaps, travel photography, shooting wildlife, etc?
If you just want something compact that can fit in a handbag and bring everywhere with you, then a 3x point and shoot camera will suffice. If you shoot a lot of wildlife, birds, etc. then the 10x zoom is indispensable. However, they tend to be bulkier.

2. What kind of photographer are you?
Are you the type that wants flexibility in how to set up the shot, or do you just want to point and shoot?

3. What cameras are you comparing?
I think the other camera specifications matter as well so it would be worthwhile checking out the other features and image characteristics..

Anyway, feel free to ask further questions - we're happy to help...

Jules

I would agree with Jules that the most important thing is the type of photography you enjoy, and then also consider other aspects of the camera and how they compliment or hinder how you'll use them. While the zoom ratio is an important piece of information about the lens, the actual focal length range can vary among cameras with the same specs. A 28-280 and 36-360 are both 10x zoom, but have very different fields of view.

If I was only planning on getting one camera, I'd get the 3x 10mp if it's 28mm or wider and I want it for general photography and/or landscapes. I would get the 10x 6mp if it was a stabilized lens and I was primarily interested in wildlife or sports photography.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Hi, Julian and Matthew

My preferences go to:

1 - compact digicam
2 - I want it for general photography but i'm very interested in wildlife too
3 - my selection is:
Kodak EasyShare V610
Nikon Coolpix P3
Nikon Coolpix S4
Casio Exilim Zoom EX-Z1000
Canon IXUS 800 IS

Thanks
Riche