Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

help wanted: html anyone?

I was wicked enough to dare to fiddle with my webpage, wanting to improve it, but for now it seems I wrecked it....

I havent got anywhere with my initial attempts of learning some html, so I still just use Netscape composer to edit my existing webpage. I added a background and edited some of the pictures, very simple changes.
However, viewing it now, the background won't show as won't some of the thumpnails of the pictures. A friend pointed me to the fact that in the source code, the references to the items which won't show contain the name of my local harddrive.

so when you look at my webpage, the background is referenced as follows

background-image: url(file:///F:/HPhtml%20neu/Hintergrund/Background_cr.jpg);">

and thus won't show.

same for the thumpnails on the side, e.g. the one for portraits:

src="file:///F:/HPhtml%20neu/Portrait%20thump.jpg" title="

others are fine, like on the travel picture page

src="Travel/Travel%20thumps/_MG_9207_frame.jpg"

this thumpnail will show.

Even though what I see makes sense, I don't know how it happend, or how to fix it either.
On the computer I use to make the page, all pictures are stored in sudirectories of drive F.
When uploading to the FTP server I keep the same folder structure of course. So why do some references end up with this tag and others don't?

Furthermore when I try to manually take parts like file:///F:/ out of the source code, the pictures won't show, I'm doing it wrong someway.

you notice I'm a dummy in this field, can anybody help me fix my page?

Any advice hugely appreciated,

Uli

Put all your graphics in your 'Travel' or another suitably named sub folder without referencing the 'F' hard drive. Servers dont recognise hard drives. All documents and jpg/gif graphics which make up the whole of your website should be in the main folder/directory or a sub folder of that folder.
html is easy to learn and there is plenty of info on the web or in a good book. Never been a fan of DIY or supposedly easy ways of producing a website, if you dont know the basic structure of a website when you make a mistake, then you dont know how to fix Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Pat Wrote:All documents and jpg/gif graphics which make up the whole of your website should be in the main folder/directory or a sub folder of that folder.
Uli Wrote:all pictures are stored in sudirectories of drive F.
When uploading to the FTP server I keep the same folder structure of course.
The folder that contains all the files I need to make up the webpage is called something like "webpage", and it has to be stored somewhere on my harddrive! so it will be in C, D, E, or wherever. Many of the pictures show just fine, the problem in that some have the F-reference, and it's not straight forward to figure out which, or why.

If it was that easy....Wink

Uli

It is, if you understood the basic structure of a website. Copy all the graphics that are broken to the 'Travel' folder, then edit the links to those graphics so they point to the graphic in the 'Travel' folder, then upload the graphics to the file 'Travel' on your server, then upload the webpages on which you have edited your links. Try it! Smile

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Hey Uli,

Just wondering whether you've got this sorted?

A trick would be to use relative URLs - i.e.
'images/travel/blah.jpg' (make sure you don't have a slash in front)

rather than
'file://c/images/travel/blah.jpg'

As you've correctly deduced, the server won't recognise the c: path...

With relative urls, it searches for directories and in from the folder that the page is stored - so put your images and stuff in subfolders as Pat suggested, then it should be ok...

... thanks Jules, haven't got back to it, too busy right now Smile

I got it fixed for a couple of thumpnails that wouldn't show, but not yet for the background.

Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by wulinka
Feb 25, 2007, 22:54