Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

know your camera

Hi everyone

Been reading some of yours post from previous months

I would like to mention that you should know your camera setting inside out and be able to work it out with your eyes close.
I mention this because i was requested to teach to some school childrens that thougth they knew the camera and spend more time in trying to set the camera. By then the moment was gone!

Regards

Christian

100% agree. Absolutely. Yes.

Cave canem

When in doubt go full auto! Big Grin Wink

How do we fully know?
I'm just practice practice practicing until I feel that I fully know;
but I'm still learning.

If you're talking about the camera's functions, I've read it in the manual Big Grin

Adam: practice makes perfect - keep at it. The technical side of photography is at most 35% - the rest is creativity and artistic vision.

hi

gooosh fully auto?! what is that?! I mostly use aperture pri, or sutter pri, or manual. Depends on what I shoot, not sure why cameras have so many other little things that are rarely use?

Regards

Christian

/removes tongue from cheek.

I generally use Shutter priority for most situations. Aperture priority occasionally.

I always have my camera on "M" now Big Grin

Need to practice "Creativity and artistic vision" some more, some thing I have to practice; because it's not just something I can learn, right?

I have a Canon Powershot Pro 1; I bought it used from a pro; can anyone tell me what some normal settings are; I'm learning and this camera seems to be much slower than a digital that most amatures would use. I've been using auto, but this thing is way too slow to catch the moment. Help!

Hi Jen... stick it on "P" mode - that should give you auto expsoure and metering and everything, but still allow you to adjust the more advanced settings.

Try pre-focussing as well - hold down the shutter button halfway and wait till it locks focus. When the moment comes, press down fully to take the pic. You might need to anticipate a little... but most cameras are like that.

Sure its important to know your camera, but no need to make it more tech then it is. Know the very basic modes and the fundamentals of photography and your set.

As for auto, if you feel more free to be creative and get the images you want. by all means use it. The reason i never use it, its cause the camera and i rarely think alike... lol

/P.L

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

My camera has manual control of everything but focus. But focus is always semi-automatic because you look for your point of focus, set it and you can move your field of view or you can change your setting from infinity to closeup to emphasis find the just the focus you want. When you set the camera to manual you can control every setting including film speed, exposure time and lens opening using one "joystick" and buttons on top of the deck without taking your eye fron the viewfinder. Making these "creative" judgements may not be the fastest or best way in all cases but it's a lot more fun. So that's what I do.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Funny...I was playing with my camera on "P" mode last night and found my match..quite happy with some of my results...However, I think I'm trying to advance too fast...Now I'm interested in working on some customizing...any ideas to get me started? I'm really havin fun with this...

Big Grin Jen

If you would like to get a little creative try using AV mode to adjust the depth of field (stuff in focus). The lower the number you set the narrower the depth of field. This will give you nice blurred backgrounds - especially good for taking pictures of people.

Just watch out for accurate focus.

The other fun thing you can try is taking pictures of moving water with a tripod and a slow shutter speed (TV mode). Try something like 1/2 a second exposure and look at the nice creamy look of the water.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Hey Jen - came across an article with some pretty good ideas...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/...69,00.html

Hope that helps!

Hey ST I'm glad you brought it up..I'm new to photoshop...I am already picking up on patterns like some that I took of some fall colors on the trees in the mountains during a sunset..I even took a pic of the frame of a window and one of a fence on the side of the road...I did crayons last night..imagine that...I am having some fun with this..I have some pics to share but haven't gotten there yet..I'm a real novice..haha..even on the computer..give me a little bit of time...I'm gettin there
thanks for the article..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post