Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

learning through emulation.

Hello friends Smile
I'm not sure which forum to post this in, but I'll put it under techniques.

I saw a nice picture last night, and this morning tried to take a similar picture.
Maybe it shouldn't be called "emulation", maybe "COPYING"
but like experiences in playing guitar, you start trying to emulate, or copy your favourite artist, then go and develop your own style.

Anyway, here's the picture I thought was really cool:
http://dc5.donga.com/zero/zboard.php?id=...sc&no=4423

And here's my attempt:
[Image: sunrise%20seagull.jpg]

Maybe I'm not patient enough, but the seagulls only seemed to start flying across the sun when I was leaving!!!!!!!
And again, I have that problem with the sun, the RINGS of colour instead of bright spot with gradient! but on the preview on the camera LCD screen, it looks fine! that's what is making me think its something to do with the way I process the pictures, when converting the RAW to jpeg!

I saw the picture and now I know what you want to achieve... The only different thing I can appreciate from yours is that in the other one there is a bit of mist... I have read that mist and fog work very good as filters... Maybe certain lens and a misty day might do... Let's see if someone has the right idea... I am also curious now... Interesting post Adam....

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

The only thing similar on mine is that theres a silhoutted bird flying over water and the sun in the background.
I'm missing splashing waves and mist Smile

Waiting for a bird to fly in the right way was already difficult enough Smile
No matter how much planned, there's things that I can't control... actually, there's been bush fires here for the past few weeks!!!
I'll try for mist and fog next time Smile
Or bring a "can of mist"

Hey adam, imitation or not, I think you've achieved a wonderful picture, and should be proud of it! Big Grin

I do a lot of emulation! I think it's a great way to learn, especially "studio" shots where you try to figure out the lighting schemes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post