Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lens for nikon

i often read posts from people requesting help in choosing a proper lens for their nikon. the lens requirement usually leads to 2 lens being recomended.either the nikon55-200mm,or the 70-300mm.i don't recall ever seeing the 55-300mm mentioned.is there a reason this lens is left out.?[/size]

It might be because the first two lens are better (hence the price difference), but I have the 55-300mm and it's a perfectly good lens in my opinion. Sharp photos at all focal lengths, nice colors, I would only change it for an 18-300mm, but I bet that costs a whole lot.

(Jul 7, 2013, 09:21)kNox Wrote:  It might be because the first two lens are better (hence the price difference), but I have the 55-300mm and it's a perfectly good lens in my opinion. Sharp photos at all focal lengths, nice colors, I would only change it for an 18-300mm, but I bet that costs a whole lot.

thanks for input, bernie

(Jul 6, 2013, 17:02)bernie Wrote:  i often read posts from people requesting help in choosing a proper lens for their nikon. the lens requirement usually leads to 2 lens being recomended.either the nikon55-200mm,or the 70-300mm.i don't recall ever seeing the 55-300mm mentioned.is there a reason this lens is left out.?[/size]

Lens comparison really is such a headache for such users like me Smile if I don't get to see too much of a point why and where would it good than the other. Eventually I ended up following up my own instinct. When it regards to focal length I decide whether I have use for it or not, or if I have the same lens that could do such thing that is not by the other lens. Getting a lens ranging minimum focal length of 55-70mm can be accomplished by most of our kit lens but by having a range of 200mm-300mm is really seldom to see is most lens (meaning you won't get to see a minimum focal length of 55 to 300mm very often or made often with type of lens). If focal length is our basis and knowing the aperture range of this lens are all the same I would go for 55-300mm for its use. Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

It depends a whole lot on what you are trying to shoot.
For me the following works so far -

50mm Fixed Prime - For all of my portraits
18-55mm - For travel photography, landscapes etc
55-200mm - I rarely use this unless I need to zoom into a far off subject (Maybe when I will start shooting wildlife I might opt for this or a 200-400mm if I can afford one Smile)

The broader the range of a telephoto lens, the more versatile it is and the better for general use. A prime lens (one focal length) will nearly always be the "best", and as telephotos have a broader range, the "less perfect" they tend to be, which is why the suggestion for the best lens is a narrower range. Most of us are not that exacting, but read the reviews and you will see this verified.
Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post