Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lightmeter

Wasn't sure if this should go in 'technique' or 'equipment' forums Smile
Does anyone here use a lightmeter?
I'm sure that taking photographs in a studio would be good with a lightmeter/flash meter.
Basically, the operation of it is that you can meter the light falling on the subject, or the light reflected from the subject. (incident and reflected light). You meter for something that is mid tone, and it will give you the settings that will give correct exposure for it. (or meter the white and adjust the camera to overexpose by 2 stops (or opposite for black))Is this correct?
There seem to be a few on the market, does anyone have recommendations about which one is good to get? and if it will be beneficial for me to get one? I'm currently using the on in the camera, which, when I set my camera on M it uses centre weighted average, and when I use AE lock, it's partial metering.
Many of my pictures come out dark - I think I have a problem with finding the "right midtone", and getting a lightmeter won't fix this problem for me, that I have to learn to see/find the mid tone.

Have you tried using Gray Cards?

Hey! Good idea!
Can you please fly next to the moon and hold it there for me? hehe

Let's go shooting after exams.

Yes! I'll get some grey card!

Most modern camerashave light meters built in. These are better than alost any light meter you can buy. Results depend on where you read the light, issues of contrast, etc..

If you have a modern camera, digital or SLR. There is very little likelihood that you need an external light meter.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the replies Smile

So I don't really need one! Smile thanks