Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

macro photography.

Hi Hugh here.
Could anyone recommend a good macro lens and some advice on macro photography.
Thanks.

What lens/es do you have at the moment. Ed.

I have the EF 75-300mm + EFS 18-55mm.

What is the closest they will focus to on Macro settings, and, how close do you wish to go. Ed.

I am not to sure how to try it. Do I connect the macro lens to the
EF 75-300mm lens. Sorry but I am new to all this and I must sound stupid.

Not at all. There is a possibility the Lenses have macro facility built in. All this means is that they will go a bit closer than "conventional" lens. Your camera will have a macro setting, this sets up what it considers the "Ideal" setup for the subject. Put the camera on Autofocus, use full zoom, and keep going closer, until the focus will not work, take a pic with the closest working focus, try both lenses, go from there. Cheers. Ed.

(Oct 10, 2013, 13:39)canon400d Wrote:  I am not to sure how to try it. Do I connect the macro lens to the

Do you have a macro "lens"????
Or a close-up "adapter"???

If it's a complete 'lens' it would go on INSTEAD of either the 75-300 or the 18-55.

If it's a close-up 'adapter', then it screws onto the front of your lens.
BE incredibly careful doing that, the threads are VERY fine and easily damaged.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Oct 15, 2013, 11:40)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Oct 10, 2013, 13:39)canon400d Wrote:  I am not to sure how to try it. Do I connect the macro lens to the

Do you have a macro "lens"????
Or a close-up "adapter"???

If it's a complete 'lens' it would go on INSTEAD of either the 75-300 or the 18-55.

If it's a close-up 'adapter', then it screws onto the front of your lens.
BE incredibly careful doing that, the threads are VERY fine and easily damaged.
Thanks for that.I have a close up wide angle adaptor with macro.have tried macro on its own
find it hard to focus.The wide angle with macro is good for close ups.Yes you do have to be careful finding the right threads. Thanks again wall-e.

From my experience the screw on adaptors give a very limited depth of field. Can be ok if that is what you want and you are photographing something like a flower, but not so good for anything that has length, like a butterfly. I would advise stick to the macro setting on one of your telephoto lenses, for now. Then invest in a dedicated macro lens if the passion develops and the funds allow. You can get some results as some of the images posted on this forum will demonstrate.

Thanks for your input dean learning is good.Funds can be a big problem.

I'm with you there. Funds are only a problem when you haven't got any! Join the club.

Happy Shooting people!

Regards
Keith

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
May 21, 2017, 10:52