Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

my first try at film developing

my first try at developing film. (ilford delta 400)... i think i over did the agitation cause the grains are pretty drastic and the negatives are low on contrast.

a short series on china town from my last trip to singapore (negatives were scanned then did some post processing with photoshop)

not quite a traffic light
[Image: File0309_1.jpg]

scenes from China Town
[Image: File0317_1.jpg]

[Image: File0318_1.jpg]

[Image: File0319_1.jpg]

[Image: File0320_1.jpg]

hmmm...need to improve on the film processing part, ugly yellow line across the photos! Sad

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Well for a first effort on a subject I know nothing about... I'd say they don't look to bad...and personally I kind of like the gritty feel of them... very 1960's !

I couldn't agree more with what Craig says. Very cool. It's been a lot of years since I have done developing.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

You are a brave soul. This is a lost craft. Good for you.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

The China town shots really make me feel like watching screenshots from a 60's drama movie or something. Smile Really nostalgic.
But about the yellow vertical lines.. Maybe they are due to the scanner's fault?

Keep up the good work!

I agree, they have a very warm, nostalgic feel to them. I've never developed my own though, so I'm afraid I can't really comment on the processing. I love the architecture here Smile

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

The colors are very different from what you get in PS... They are beautiful I like a lot what you did...... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I'm with Craig, too - I know nothing about the process, but love the finished images. As a viewer, I'm assuming that you wanted them to look exactly like they do, and they're very effective.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

thanks for the comments guys, my wife thinks i've become some mad scientist playing with these chemicals. processing the film really was easier than i thought, i think waiting for the negatives to dry was harder. Wink

that yellow line i think comes from some messy processing of the film. i suspect i didn't wash the film enough, some residue chemicals caused the streaking.

anyone trying processing your own film, some good advice, write down every step and keep detailed records. makes it much easier to make changes in later batches.

ooohhh... can't wait to do another roll!

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post