Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hi all

I am new to this site and am glad to be here. I am an amatuer photographer in my mid-forties, living in Oxfordshire. I have always worked with film cameras, mostly the Canon A1 which I have got my most successful shots from. Recently, I have been tempted to dabble in the digital word.
Is there anyone who could suggest a site that deals with the switching between the two mediums?

Any help with this confusing issue would be gratefully recieved!

All the best

Welcome to the Forum. Had a A1, a classic in it's time. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 9, 2015, 13:53)EdMak Wrote:  Welcome to the Forum. Had a A1, a classic in it's time. Ed.

Thanks! Well ahead of its time as well.......

Hi Paul, check out 'Digital Photography School' useful site for info and free to join to get regular newsletter, tips and information etc.

Welcome to the Forums... I still have my AE1 Prog. amongst many others... but sadly the lenses won't work with my Canon 1Dmk4 or the 1Ds... that's one thing to consider when making the switch... FD glass was good in its day... but the new glass- even the non L series is way better... just some construction and materials on the lower end leave a bit to be desired, everything is built to a price... and that price will be a major consideration for you... I still use some film and it's ok.. but having gotten used to the ability to see the image and analyse it with the histogram... I can, if necessary, reshoot there and then - not regret it a week later when the prints come back...( gave up the darkroom when I left the UK for Canada!) and "she who is to be obeyed" is nowadays much happier with no large numbers of rolls of film in the fridge! Big Grin

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Apr 9, 2015, 15:01)Tel Wrote:  Hi Paul, check out 'Digital Photography School' useful site for info and free to join to get regular newsletter, tips and information etc.

Thanks will give it a try

(Apr 9, 2015, 15:04)Rolf Wrote:  Welcome to the Forums... I still have my AE1 Prog. amongst many others... but sadly the lenses won't work with my Canon 1Dmk4 or the 1Ds... that's one thing to consider when making the switch... FD glass was good in its day... but the new glass- even the non L series is way better... just some construction and materials on the lower end leave a bit to be desired, everything is built to a price... and that price will be a major consideration for you... I still use some film and it's ok.. but having gotten used to the ability to see the image and analyse it with the histogram... I can, if necessary, reshoot there and then - not regret it a week later when the prints come back...( gave up the darkroom when I left the UK for Canada!) and "she who is to be obeyed" is nowadays much happier with no large numbers of rolls of film in the fridge! Big Grin

Kind regards

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the advice, I usually use a camera phone at the moment, although film reacts quite differently of course, to give me an estimation of positioning and compasision...how the picture falls in with the rule of thirds, and to show me anything that shouldn't be in the picture, or just looks wrong, ect...
With 18MP (which is crazy for a camera phone, how times fly as technology marches grimly on) It gives me a good impression.
However, could you suggest a good quality DSLR for those breaking into digital photography for a long time film user?

Thanks again

Hello and welcome on board! Nice to meet you and we look forward to seeing some of your work when you have some time!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Hey Paul, welcome to ShutterTalk!

(Apr 10, 2015, 16:33)Barbara G. Wrote:  Hello and welcome on board! Nice to meet you and we look forward to seeing some of your work when you have some time!

Dear Barbara

Thanks for your kind words of welcome, it will give me an excuse to scan the rest of my work into my pc. The problem is that they scan ok with no noise, but the scanned image appears with a great deal of problems noise wise and I therefore have to use free programs to clean them up from the net.
I don't understand how this can happen with a clean picture and scanning surface.
Would you or any other members have any ideas?

Regards

Paul

(Apr 11, 2015, 04:10)Paul Night Wrote:  
(Apr 10, 2015, 16:33)Barbara G. Wrote:  Hello and welcome on board! Nice to meet you and we look forward to seeing some of your work when you have some time!

Dear Barbara

Thanks for your kind words of welcome, it will give me an excuse to scan the rest of my work into my pc. The problem is that they scan ok with no noise, but the scanned image appears with a great deal of problems noise wise and I therefore have to use free programs to clean them up from the net.
I don't understand how this can happen with a clean picture and scanning surface.

Regards

Paul

Hello,

First of all I must say that I am not as experienced as many of the members here in the forums. I am still on a learning curve. I did however do a little research into your question.

Here is what I have found - any more experienced than I can correct me if needed:

Scanning photos can result in noise due to the film grain of the original photo.

Many scanners will not produce the resultant best images because the scanner used may have limitations in producing the same quality.

Use the maximum optical resolution available while scanning photographs.

Here are a few links which may be helpful for you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/using-a-scanner

http://www.scantips.com/basic13b.html

http://www.mathworks.com/help/images/noise-removal.html

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article...3&seqNum=5

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Apr 11, 2015, 15:50)Barbara G. Wrote:  
(Apr 11, 2015, 04:10)Paul Night Wrote:  

Dear Barbara

Regards

Paul

Hello,

First of all I must say that I am not as experienced as many of the members here in the forums. I am still on a learning curve. I did however do a little research into your question.

Here is what I have found - any more experienced than I can correct me if needed:

Scanning photos can result in noise due to the film grain of the original photo.

Many scanners will not produce the resultant best images because the scanner used may have limitations in producing the same quality.

Use the maximum optical resolution available while scanning photographs.

Here are a few links which may be helpful for you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/using-a-scanner

http://www.scantips.com/basic13b.html

http://www.mathworks.com/help/images/noise-removal.html

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article...3&seqNum=5

Thanks Barbara

The links were of great help! I have also discovered 'Noiseware Community edition' which is removes noise just fine, leaving great results for all but the most serious of noise. Gimp works well as a photo manipulation system with noise reduction filters...however you can't print them...however try this link...http://noiseware-community-edition.en.softonic.com/

Paul

Paul, are you sure it's noise?? Rd.

To each his own!

(Apr 10, 2015, 12:26)Paul Night Wrote:  [

Kind regards

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the advice, I usually use a camera phone at the moment, although film reacts quite differently of course, to give me an estimation of positioning and compasision...how the picture falls in with the rule of thirds, and to show me anything that shouldn't be in the picture, or just looks wrong, ect...
With 18MP (which is crazy for a camera phone, how times fly as technology marches grimly on) It gives me a good impression.
However, could you suggest a good quality DSLR for those breaking into digital photography for a long time film user?

Thanks again

[/quote]

Hello Paul, I am Canon through and through so I would be happy to recommend Canon. If you have Canon and were comfortable with it... stay with Canon. I would recommend the Canon 7D... the Mk ll is out now so the Mk 1 will be cheaper and perhaps a good one can be bought used. It's a 1.6 crop so will help with reach if you need it but will tend to spoil wide angle without a dedicated lens that works with the sensor e.g. the Canon 10-22mm which will give the same field of view as the 16-35 an full frame. There are many good makes to be selected from and I would not denigrate any other so take some time at a good Camera shop and ask to see a variety? Have in mind exactly what you need from your potential acquisition and see which make/model best meets your requirements... Lenses can also be gotten used... if you know what to look for you should be ok buying used... it's a great way to get started and even build your kit...

Good luck Smile

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Apr 13, 2015, 11:12)Rolf Wrote:  
(Apr 10, 2015, 12:26)Paul Night Wrote:  [

Kind regards

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thanks again

Hello Paul, I am Canon through and through so I would be happy to recommend Canon. If you have Canon and were comfortable with it... stay with Canon. I would recommend the Canon 7D... the Mk ll is out now so the Mk 1 will be cheaper and perhaps a good one can be bought used. It's a 1.6 crop so will help with reach if you need it but will tend to spoil wide angle without a dedicated lens that works with the sensor e.g. the Canon 10-22mm which will give the same field of view as the 16-35 an full frame. There are many good makes to be selected from and I would not denigrate any other so take some time at a good Camera shop and ask to see a variety? Have in mind exactly what you need from your potential acquisition and see which make/model best meets your requirements... Lenses can also be gotten used... if you know what to look for you should be ok buying used... it's a great way to get started and even build your kit...

Good luck Smile

Kind regards

Rolf
[/quote]

Dear Rolf

Thanks for the feedback...I'm really sorry about the late reply...g/f has been very sick...been a bag of nerves...anyway, taking half hour to answer all my mails.
The 7D looks very attractive...ebay is the only way I could manage to aquire one...is there any sellers there you could recommend, if you have used the site?
If so have you had good/bad experience purchasing such items second hand? If so are there any warning signs are should take into account? Such as the the Canon A1 shutter 'squeak?'
Anyway once again, sorry about leaving it so long in replying...

All the best

Paul

Hello Paul... No worries about the response time... I hope your lady is recovered and now well?

The 7D is a good camera but I bought it for my wife new from the US and had it shipped to Calgary in Canada where I live. The US price was about half that of the Canada price so it made sense. The site I used and still do for much of my gear new and used is B&H Photo... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Have a look in their used section... I found this 7D http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/80...gital.html
that is very cheap at GBP 470 at todays rate...and looking at their condition rating it's in very good condition and worth considering. There are 5D's and 40's, 50's 70D's and some 1 series there too. Have a look..?

Not sure where you are.... in UK take a look at - http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Sea...Results=12 There are quite a few 7D's for sale at the LCE. Your location may have a store and they can always get a camera from another UK store to your location for you to look at. Their price is close to the US price for the 7D so it may be cheaper to buy local without P&P and import duty? Have a look on the LCE site anyway for any other camera or make come to that. They are great people to deal with, and they are there to help you buy a camera .... not just to sell you one! You may even be able to spread payments... not sure on used though.

The camera you buy will, unless it came in with a lens, will be a body only... it will have all the leads, battery and charger though.. now you need a lens to make it work as a camera... another story! Have a look at again used...( nothing at all wrong with buying used... like you would a car... but have a good look at it or take someone with you who has knowledge) I would always say to buy the best lens you can afford... the "L" series will outlast many bodies and will give longer service than the lower spec lenses. Either way... avoid really low end lenses with plastic mounts... they wear rapidly and have a tendency to fail. As a first lens... if you can afford it the (used) ef 24-105 f4 L IS is a good all round walk about lens http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Canon-EF-...21779.html.
If that is out of your current reach try a used 28-135 mm f3.5-5.6 http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Sea...Results=12

The issue with lower end lenses is they get dust and moisture in them more readily than the "L " series which have environmental protection in the form of seals - that's part of the higher costs though. The 7D is a crop frame at a 1.6 factor so your 24-105 becomes a 38.4-168mm, the 28-135 becomes 44.8 - 216mm so both will give you a marginal reach increase but will compromise the wide angle end...

Have a look around... I would be wary of Ebay... you hear stories of good paid for and not as described or just not turning up or whatever and, of course, some great buys... Caveat emptor!

Lastly I would say READ - LOTS! :-) get to know photographers and canvas their opinions look at test sites and READ and with knowledge you are able to make an informed decision.... http://www.dpreview.com/ is a good site amongst many.

I wish you luck... let us know how you get on and what gear you do get?

Kind regards

Rolf

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Apr 3, 2019, 00:00