Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

night photography

hi only joined yesterday, any how I do like night photography here are 2 pics. both images were taken in London, camera settings were f.16 iso.100 shutter 20 sec

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice images Mike, th top one, is shouting for a clock face. Perhaps you have one you can clone on? Welcome. Ed.

(Nov 3, 2013, 04:38)mike yates Wrote:  hi only joined yesterday, any how I do like night photography here are 2 pics. both images were taken in London, camera settings were f.16 iso.100 shutter 20 sec

Lots of potential in the subject matter.

To my taste, they are WAY over exposed, losing any highlight detail.

If it were me, I'd shoot 2-3 stops lower, and pull up the exposure in LR/Camera Raw.

OR, do a 3 or 5 shot HDR.
Or maybe layer in the details from a lower exposure shot in PS.

Do you have duplicates with different exposures?

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Nice image there!.. You've lost some details in highlights. You could go over the two options explained in previous comments.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Yes, I see the point about the over exposure but to be honest I really didn't notice it until it was pointed out. The composition and colour are strong. Maybe a little less prominent places for the name on the photo?

thanks for your comments, I still have the raw file, so I shall see what I can do

My question is what time did you take them. Best time for night photography is not at night, but a little before.

12/09/13 - 19.47. Via EXIF. Ed.

(Nov 3, 2013, 19:20)danielbennett2020 Wrote:  Yes, I see the point about the over exposure but to be honest I really didn't notice it until it was pointed out. The composition and colour are strong. Maybe a little less prominent places for the name on the photo?

Actually, I thought the watermark was well place and subdued.
But I'm looking at it as a commercial piece. Like a postcard.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I like the picture but like the others I think the highlights are blown. Either dodge them back in with Photoshop or make a HDR image from several differnt conversions of your RAW file.
I agree too about your strap line, semi-hide it in the river. You only need to prove it's your picture not shout out I'm an advert.

You are never going to get a night shot perfectly exposed. If you was to find a way to it would cease to be a night shot! Night shots have dense shadows, blown highlights and high contrast - none of those three is actually a problem as they would be in a daytime shot.

HDR is a way of getting rid of the shadows and blown highlights - but you will lose the atmosphere when you do so.

[/i]You are never going to get a night shot perfectly exposed[i]

Don't agree with that. Have taken many, B & W mainly, over the years, and all were, as seen, to me.

This was taken for the new lighting just installed. Apart from "Lighting up" the right side bollard, lamp had blown, I did little to this. It is, to me, as it looked when taken. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jjford43
Aug 14, 2016, 00:00
Last Post by Jocko
Aug 5, 2016, 11:51