Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

photography for money

so who here actually earns money thru photography? how so?

Not me Smile So I can't answer your question, sorry, will let the others answer Wink

Yes, I do. Not my total income by any means, but some....

It's 90% weddings and small groups, (often connected to church in some way).

I dont try to get work, I just accept it when asked.

Cave canem

i wish i was good enough to .. but like adam .. i dont ..

Although I spend a lot of my time trying to make money at photography, I am lucky that I am not relying on it to pay my bills... Big Grin

I do some work for barter. Corporate headshots get me limited use of the company credit card to buy gear; martial arts shoots get me into fairly expensive seminars and some other related stuff.

The work for which I've been paid cash has been mostly by accident; for example, after the BBC published a picture I submitted (taking it completely out of context,) a university in the UK paid me to use it to advertise their political science courses. Funny.

Geez there is money in photography? Why didn't someone tell me!

I wouldn't like to rely on it to support me, maybe one day if I can bare doing weddings and portraits. I don't think I'm 'edgy' or 'commercial' enough to enter the high fashion field nor would I want to.

Having said that its the Spring Fashion Festival here and I am shooting a couple of parades *kicks at the dirt and looks down*

btw did I mention that I don't like the look of high fashion? :/

I make a bit doing weddings and the odd portrait. Luckily, I also have a suitable career which permits the endless pursuit of "gear".

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Hehe, for me, I'd be scared to accept money for stuff like wedding shoots. If they pay you, there's an added pressure of doing a good job... hehe. :o

Yes!!! I feel so too!
I do it for my own little fun, but if you're given money for it, it feels like you have to do a good job (not saying that we don't try), but much is expected!

Maybe Adam - but I find that people don't appreciate fully what they don't pay for.

At the weddings that I did in the past, the most demanding and difficult clients were the ones that I did for free or for a small stipend. They assumed that I was not pro, and therefore needed their guidance as a result.

When you charge a reasonable amount, people assume that you know what you are doing, and don't presume to tell you your business.

Just one of those little quirks of human nature, I suppose.

I've made a few bucks so far but it remains to be seen how much I'm capable of making. I have a lot of plans that are slowly unfolding. One is to do bookings in pet stores (which there are a ton of). This is just a matter of days now. I've pretty much got everything together and also a couple perspectives. The idea actually came from a pet store owner I know. I just need to work on all the other shops in the lower mainland. With a name like Cloverdale Photography, I am hoping to become well recognized. The whole reason for taking the name of the town I live in.The name itself should generate some attention locally. Nobody knows who Colin Perrin is but the whole province knows Cloverdale.
I've also applied for volunteer work with the SPCA. Hopefully this will also spread my name throughout the community. Bottom line is I have a fantastic opportunity to become well known in my community.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Toad Wrote:Maybe Adam - but I find that people don't appreciate fully what they don't pay for.

Totally agree - never sell yourself short. If they expect much, then perhaps that will drive you to perform that much better... Smile

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Extending on this subject a bit.....

Do you look for work to earn money in photography, and then "curve" yourself to their style; or do you keep your own style and wait for someone to come to you for business?

Yes, I'm an Amateur &
I Work Hard for that Title
Wink

I think anyone that waits for business to come to them either has too much business or is a fool. I actively chase work to try and grow my business, some of the work is done for nothing more than the exposure, exposure and recognition are big keys in this industry.

StudioJ Wrote:I think anyone that waits for business to come to them either has too much business or is a fool. I actively chase work to try and grow my business, some of the work is done for nothing more than the exposure, exposure and recognition are big keys in this industry.

Ditto J. Wink

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post