Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

slow-shutter landscapes...?

I had this idea for a photography technique and I wondered if anyone had seen anything like it (I haven;t actually tried it yet)

During the discussions about IR pics elsewhere and the resultant slow shutter speed, I got to thinking that that might be an interesting effect in full colour - that is, use an ND filter to cut the amount of light so you can use really slow shutter-speeds (below 1/10-ish) in full sunlight... Landscapes shot this way would have an interesting effect because branches, etc. would have some motion blur but the horizon and buildings, etc. would be tack-sharp (assuming the use of a sturdy tripod!) My hope is that you will be able to 'see the wind' in a way.

What do y'all think?

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Not sure about traditional landscapes (if there is such a thing) but I like shooting water that way.

I always shoot Velvia at that speed or slower - often 1/4 sec or even slower. Occasionally, you get movement in trees etc. Depends on the wind and other things. Lots of my shots you see posted in these foums are done that way. Shooting that slow is no too hard when you use ISO 50. Big Grin

Sometimes the bit of motion gives intersting effects.

Another major advantage of slow speeds like that is high saturation of color. Needless to say, a tripod is mandatory.

Here's a few examples of what you are talking about:

Both of these:
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1246

..and #2 in this set...

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=757

and then you can use a small aperture and get big depth of field? is that true or not?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jogesh12345
Jul 5, 2019, 01:48