Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

some advice on DPI please - re looking for a new laser printer

Hi,
I'd like some good advice on what sort of DPI to look for. I've been looking around for a colour laser printer and have a few questions about what resolution to get.
1. the pictures my camera takes is 300 DPI (dots per inch) when set on best quality, (which is what I use.) So far my research has shown this is what magazines will use and that any DPI above that on a printer will just be ignored and basically a waste. If so why do most printers go way above that often into the thousands?

2. could someone please explain the horizontal and vertical combination i.e. 600 x 300 DPI, surely it should print at the same quality in both the horizontal and the vertical? I'm either going onto the twilight zone here or am missing something that's probably obvious.

3. My old printer is a Canon Pixma MP160 with 4800 x 1200 DPI it is getting a bit old now (hence the search for a new one) but it has problems giving a decent print higher than a 6 x 4 photograph and that's on the best quality setting, using good paper and after going through the expensive rigmarole of cleaning the heads. saying this it is an inkjet printer can I expect better results from a laser printer? either with a lower, similar or higher DPI?

4. I have my camera set on "large" picture size. would choosing a smaller size have any difference on the print result?

and finally
5. just info people might need rather than a question really . . .
I use a Nikon D5100 set to best quality and large picture (as stated) total 16.9 million pixels / effective 16.2 million pixels (not sure what that difference is for but that's the spec’s.) I am looking to print some exceptionally good quality prints at 10 x 8 (more or less A4) pictures are at 300dpi what should I be looking at for the spec’s in a laser printer please?

any help would be appreciated
thanks B.B.

Take your pick here. Welcome. Ed.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid...+explained+

(Aug 30, 2013, 06:31)billy bones Wrote:  Hi,
I'd like some good advice on what sort of DPI to look for. I've been looking around for a colour laser printer and have a few questions about what resolution to get.
1. the pictures my camera takes is 300 DPI (dots per inch) when set on best quality, (which is what I use.) So far my research has shown this is what magazines will use and that any DPI above that on a printer will just be ignored and basically a waste. If so why do most printers go way above that often into the thousands?

You're confusing your IMAGE format and the PRINTER format.
Image is in Pixels. Printers are in DPI (dots per inch).
Ignore anything in the camera about DPI, it's meaningless.

Commercial lab printers typically do 300 DPI.

Don't get a laser if you want high quality,long lasting prints.
What you're looking for is a 'dye-sub' (sublimation).
My Epson Picturemate is a dye-sub. The prints from that are of the same quality as from a lab.

(Aug 30, 2013, 06:31)billy bones Wrote:  2. could someone please explain the horizontal and vertical combination i.e. 600 x 300 DPI, surely it should print at the same quality in both the horizontal and the vertical? I'm either going onto the twilight zone here or am missing something that's probably obvious.

No, the mechanism is different for how the head moves across the width of the paper, and how the paper is moved along it's length. The specs say 4800 DPI for the head.

(Aug 30, 2013, 06:31)billy bones Wrote:  3. My old printer is a Canon Pixma MP160 with 4800 x 1200 DPI it is getting a bit old now (hence the search for a new one) but it has problems giving a decent print higher than a 6 x 4 photograph and that's on the best quality setting, using good paper and after going through the expensive rigmarole of cleaning the heads. saying this it is an inkjet printer can I expect better results from a laser printer? either with a lower, similar or higher DPI?

Again, a laser is NOT what you want for BEST quality prints. And they're EXPENSIVE.

What software are you using to print from?
What settings are you using? Be specific.

(Aug 30, 2013, 06:31)billy bones Wrote:  4. I have my camera set on "large" picture size. would choosing a smaller size have any difference on the print result?

Yes, diminished quality.

(Aug 30, 2013, 06:31)billy bones Wrote:  and finally
5. just info people might need rather than a question really . . .
I use a Nikon D5100 set to best quality and large picture (as stated) total 16.9 million pixels / effective 16.2 million pixels (not sure what that difference is for but that's the spec’s.) I am looking to print some exceptionally good quality prints at 10 x 8 (more or less A4) pictures are at 300dpi what should I be looking at for the spec’s in a laser printer please?

any help would be appreciated
thanks B.B.

I just purchased a Canon Pixma Pro 100 from Adorama. It's gotten high marks from users on another forum I frequent. There is a package/rebate deal going on right now. Buy the printer for $389, and a package of paper (which Adorama GIVES you), and there's a $300 rebate via Amex gift card.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Hi
This is my first posting on this site. I realise the reply is a little delayed but the just to let you know my opinion. I use a number of printers (dyeline, Laser and Inkjet) I use a A3 Canon printer for all photographic printing using Canon branded ink cartridges, an A4 Canon printer for all other colour printing using compatible ink cartridges, and a black & white laser printer for general printing. The Canon cartridges give by far the best photo quality prints, the compatibles give reasonable colour pictures and really crisp clear black printing due to using a pigment ink cartridge. By comparison the laser doesn't produce anything like the quality, though it is fast. When thinking of resolution, as has already been noted, dpi refers to the printer resolution whereas the ppi refers to the file resolution. It is also worth noting that if printing from a 300ppi file the printer resolution will be 1200dpi, as in simple terms, for each pixel site the printer lays down 4 dots (1 x red, 2 x green and 1 x blue) Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Norman

Welcome Norman! Glad you joined us and thanks for the info you posted here for the members!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by webbd
Jun 24, 2019, 15:42
Last Post by cuilin
Sep 15, 2015, 17:36