Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

speedlite flash guns

Hi everyone. I would like some advice as to what speedlite to get for my canon eos 600d camera. So far I have been using the built in flash, but want to experiment with an exterior flash. I have been looking at the Canon speedlite 90EX and the Canon Speedlite 270EX II. Any advice would be very welcome please.

with regards
Snaphappy

(Jan 15, 2014, 15:22)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi everyone. I would like some advice as to what speedlite to get for my canon eos 600d camera. So far I have been using the built in flash, but want to experiment with an exterior flash. I have been looking at the Canon speedlite 90EX and the Canon Speedlite 270EX II. Any advice would be very welcome please.

with regards
Snaphappy

Hi there Snaphappy.

Firstly, I hope that you're liking being here on Shuttertalk with the rest of us. Smile

Now, on the subject of speedlights. My advice would be to get the most powerful and flexible model that you can, financial constraints not withstanding. The reason for saying this is that whilst you may not currently require all the facilities which this will offer you, you will find that as time passes and you become more proficient in using the speedlight, you will 'grow into' its more adventurous facilities and specifications.

Also, once the 'bug for flash' has bitten, you'll probably find that one speedlight is not enough and the extra flexibility of the more advanced units are an enhancement to your work.

Anyway, that is what over the years I have found.

Best of luck in your photographic adventures.

Regards.

Phil.

I just rec. for Christmas a Metz TTL speedlight and am very pleased with it. You should check out their line. Good luck with your purchase.
I did tell my wife which one I wanted.

(Jan 15, 2014, 15:37)Phil J Wrote:  
(Jan 15, 2014, 15:22)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi everyone. I would like some advice as to what speedlite to get for my canon eos 600d camera. So far I have been using the built in flash, but want to experiment with an exterior flash. I have been looking at the Canon speedlite 90EX and the Canon Speedlite 270EX II. Any advice would be very welcome please.

with regards
Snaphappy

Hi there Snaphappy.

Firstly, I hope that you're liking being here on Shuttertalk with the rest of us. Smile

Now, on the subject of speedlights. My advice would be to get the most powerful and flexible model that you can, financial constraints not withstanding. The reason for saying this is that whilst you may not currently require all the facilities which this will offer you, you will find that as time passes and you become more proficient in using the speedlight, you will 'grow into' its more adventurous facilities and specifications.

Also, once the 'bug for flash' has bitten, you'll probably find that one speedlight is not enough and the extra flexibility of the more advanced units are an enhancement to your work.

Anyway, that is what over the years I have found.

Best of luck in your photographic adventures.

Regards.

Phil.

I'll second that, and add that if you've NEVER had a camera mounted flash before, that you get a Canon model, just because it's designed to interface seamlessly with your camera, and is easiest to use.
Others will recommend third party units.
Yes it WILL cost more, but when you 'get the bug' you'll be in a better position to know what features you're looking for in a secondary flash.

Underpowered flash units are just frustrating.
Buy the most powerful one you can (almost) afford.
Like a 430. Yes it's more than 1.5 times the cost of a
270, but the guide number is almost doubled.
Look on the used market.
It's the choice of many professionals.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Hi Snappy,
I agree with what the guys have said above. Go for the best you can afford. It needn't be new, just so long as it does what it's supposed to do. If you choose a canon speed light it will pair up with your camera and speak the same language - so to say.

I use Canon with a 550ex as my prime speed light and a 430 ex as my back up. I also have a Nissin tucked away in a drawer as a last resort when all else fails. make sure you use some top quality batteries as the cheaper ones will run down in no time.

nice to see you on here.

regards

F

I have a Lumopro LP160 flash from B&H for $160. It's a speedlight that mounts in the hot shoe. Works well, but one has to set the zoom and flash strength manually. Which isn't much of a big deal unless you forget to reset it, oops.. It has been super ceded by the LP180 which costs $200 but the LP160 may still be available.

It works well, and with the flip of a switch can be used as a slave. I sometimes pine for a Nikon SB910, but can't justify the expense, I guess I'm just too cheap.

I've heard others say an advantage of the Lumopros is they take 4 AA batteries so the batteries last longer. Battery life has never been an issue for me.

Hi
I do use canon flash guns they are superb but I also use Yongnuo flash guns they are almost as good have very good right ups
These guns are much cheaper and many say, if cheap they are not good but in this case they do match up to the canon gear

I have three Yongnuo flash guns and two canon flash guns all ettl I cant fault any of them except the price, canon ouch!

Ray

Thank you everyone for your comments on speedlite flash guns. I now have some idea of what makes to look out for.

Will let you know what one I get when I have one. Thanks again.

Snaphappy

On the same subject of exterior flash guns, is it possible to use an exterior flash gun connected to a bridge camera, maybe through the USB or data cable, maybe using the built in flash as well as the exterior, or either?
Your advice will be appreciated.
Thank you

(Jan 23, 2014, 07:23)Kram Wrote:  On the same subject of exterior flash guns, is it possible to use an exterior flash gun connected to a bridge camera, maybe through the USB or data cable, maybe using the built in flash as well as the exterior, or either?
Thank you

You'll need to be more specific.
Most of the bridge cameras I'm aware of, already have a hotshoe.

The vast majority of speedlites (flash 'guns'??) can be triggered as slaves to another flash.
Even the on-board flash of a P&S can be the trigger!

2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Jan 24, 2014, 14:08)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Jan 23, 2014, 07:23)Kram Wrote:  On the same subject of exterior flash guns, is it possible to use an exterior flash gun connected to a bridge camera, maybe through the USB or data cable, maybe using the built in flash as well as the exterior, or either?
Thank you

The vast majority of speedlites (flash 'guns'??) can be triggered as slaves to another flash.

Hi to add to previous comments as is said other flash guns can be triggered from the camera flash the off camera gun is sensitive to the burst of light and will also fire
I use two other off camera flash guns behind my subject and these fire as soon as they sense the camera flash going off but this can be unreliable on rare occasions so I also use Yongnuo rf-603c flash triggers these will fire the other flashes for my Canon camera
These triggers can also can be used for firing camera remotely they are good up to 300 mtrs and can be used on the hot shoe instead of on camera flash
I can fire multiple flash guns with this set up and no wires are involved it is very reliable and means I dont have to use the on camera flash which I find harsh but as said the first option is also a very good one and 95% reliable
I don't know if you can get flash triggers of this nature for your camera but worth looking

Thank you

Thank you, I wasn't aware that most exterior flash guns can be triggered as slaves to another flash, even an on-board flash. I have two bridge cameras, and none of them have a hotshoe, which is the reason for the enquiry. Thank you this information is helpful Wink

(Jan 27, 2014, 08:26)Kram Wrote:  
Thank you

Thank you, I wasn't aware that most exterior flash guns can be triggered as slaves to another flash, even an on-board flash. I have two bridge cameras, and none of them have a hotshoe, which is the reason for the enquiry. Thank you this information is helpful Wink

Don't bother with the 90EX - It's less powerful than your pop-up flash! With your camera you can trigger most other flash-guns.I would also recommend you to get an off-camera flash cord. Using it on the camera is very restricting.

(Jan 27, 2014, 08:26)Kram Wrote:  Thank you, I wasn't aware that most exterior flash guns can be triggered as slaves to another flash, even an on-board flash. I have two bridge cameras, and none of them have a hotshoe, which is the reason for the enquiry. Thank you this information is helpful Wink

What models of 'bridge' cameras do you have that don't have a hotshoe?

2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Jan 30, 2014, 12:46)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Jan 27, 2014, 08:26)Kram Wrote:  Thank you, I wasn't aware that most exterior flash guns can be triggered as slaves to another flash, even an on-board flash. I have two bridge cameras, and none of them have a hotshoe, which is the reason for the enquiry. Thank you this information is helpful Wink

What models of 'bridge' cameras do you have that don't have a hotshoe?

Nikon L810, Panasonic Lumix LZ30, Fuji S2980

You might also want to check out an excellent book by "Syl Arena" all about using on and off camera flash. It's called "Speedliter's handbook" If you cannot find it, Amazon can supply it for you.

Great! Thanks a lot. Appreciate the info. Will check it out.

with regards
Snaphappy

I have the 270EX II and it's a fairly good flash, much better than a built in flash. On my 7D, it can set the flash off wirelessly and even adjust output. It also has a zoom function by pulling out the lens. This is slightly hit and miss. I also own a 600EX RT and this is far superior. On my 28 to 300, it automatically adjusts the zoom from 28 to 200 (not the full 300), but still an amazing distance. My advice would be to get one of the other Canon flashes above the 270EX II. You would have far more control.

Found the thread useful. Am new to photography and have bought a Nikon D3200 a few months ago. Was considering a flash gun but put off by speed lite prices. Have seen the Yongnuo and other 3rd party models. Won't rush in just yet. Thanks for the info.

(Feb 6, 2014, 17:29)Joby135 Wrote:  Found the thread useful. Am new to photography and have bought a Nikon D3200 a few months ago. Was considering a flash gun but put off by speed lite prices. Have seen the Yongnuo and other 3rd party models. Won't rush in just yet. Thanks for the info.

If you're "put off by speed lite prices", then you'll have a heart attack when you look at quality lenses.
You CAN purchase a Nikon SB400 for $85. But it's auto only, and not terribly powerful.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

Welcome to each of the new members! Glad you joined us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Flash on a budget (about 10.00 or even less, try ebay).

If the cost of the manufactures flash units is too high for you. There are lots of older flash units that will while they do not have compatible TTL exposure controls will work just fine if you just use manual settings (your aperture to match the distance and flash output).

You can often pick these up for under 10.00

The only thing to check is that the trigger voltage is a low value typically around 5V. The high trigger voltage units are not suitable for digital cameras.

I personally have a wide range of flashes that I use.

Mike

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

(Jan 16, 2014, 09:49)Orca Wrote:  I just rec. for Christmas a Metz TTL speedlight and am very pleased with it. You should check out their line. Good luck with your purchase.
I did tell my wife which one I wanted.

I used a Metz 36 AF-4C on an old Canon 350D, although not as powerful as a 58EX MK1 I found that it was adequate to my needs until I could upgrade to the more expensive Speedlite.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Sep 4, 2016, 14:17
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 4, 2016, 11:09