Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Camera Guide Recommendation

Hello again,

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this kind of thing but no doubt someone will tell me if it's not! Smile

I'd like to recommend a camera user guide I recently purchased. I'm new to this forum so hope I'm not stepping on any toes.. I guess it's unlikely, but perhaps there is an author of similar guides on this forum!

I recently purchased 'Canon T3i (600D) Experience' by Douglas Klostermann.
He has also written guides for other Canon cameras as well as some Nikon cameras.
I found the guide extremely helpful and would recommend Douglas's books to anyone who has recently bought their first DSLR camera or those wishing to learn how to use their camera better.

Due to a problem with the compact camera I was using, I upgraded to the Canon 600D less than 2 weeks before my brothers weddding which was in New Zealand. (I'm Australian and it was my first visit to NZ) Not a good time for camera problems! Although I'd previously used a film SLR camera, it was quite a few years ago. I started using the Canon on Auto but was not happy with the results and was feeling sick with worry that I would not know the camera well enough before the wedding. Fortunately I stumbled across the abovementioned user guide and it was certainly worth the small price I paid for it.

It seems to me that the user guides that comes with your camera tell you how to change settings, but do not tell you why to select a particular setting. This guide clearly explains what each setting does and recommends different settings for particular situations. I found it very easy to read and understand.

I worked my way through the guide and 'set up' my camera with the appropriate settings for general use. I also determined which mode and which settings would be best for the wedding. After reading through the guide and following the advice (and a little practice) I felt much more confident and the photos of the wedding turned out really well.

I was surprised to receive an email from Doug (the author) yesterday with his updated version of the guide attached!

I purchased via the author's website here:
http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/

You can also purchase on Amazon.

It was something like $10 US, and you receive a PDF copy of the book.
I printed it in a booklet format so I could carry it with me.

The book also contained useful information about different camera accessories, what to consider when buying lenses etc. Definitely great info for a beginner.

Hope this might help someone Smile

Anne

Hi Anne,

This is definitely the right place to post it, and thanks for sharing your experiences. Every camera is different and I know the stress you must have been under trying to get familiar before the important event.

I'll keep the recommendation in mind, although I personally tend to go more for books with general techniques that are applicable regardless of the camera model. One I absolutely loved and heartily recommend is The Lonely Planet Guide to Travel Photography. But for a first time DSLR user I can see how a specific guide like that can come in handy. Big Grin

Thanks for the recommendation and great write-up!

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post