Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[split] My city n guilds course work (thread two)

if there is an easier way for me upload them for critique please let me know...

Attached Files Image(s)

(Nov 15, 2013, 11:46)funkymunky Wrote:  if there is an easier way for me upload them for critique please let me know...

In the first one, don't put the subject dead center. When possible, put it/them on one of the 'power thirds' crossings.
http://learnprophotography.com/rule-of-thirds

Same thing in the second, plus, you need to decide whether to completely blur the background, or bring it into focus. With the slight blurring, I can't decide whether the background is important and you missed the shot, or it isn't and there's too much distracting detail present.

In the third, make a decision whether you're going to expose for the swan or the highlights on the water. You've split the difference to the detriment of both.

The fourth (bridge) would have benefitted from a greater depth of field. Or focusing further out, like at the support posts.

The last one (fence posts). Again you've put them in the middle of the frame.
I like the repetition, but taking a couple of giant steps to the right, putting them off to the left of the frame, and making a diagonal would have added a lot of interest, and guided the eye into the image.

Also, on my screen, they all look flat to me. A boost of contrast and saturation would help.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

thanks for your input and advise, i have taken the centre posts out of the last shot and cropped some of the grass down so it isnt as much, i didnt do any post process on these they are just straight from the camera. i have been busy all week and not had a chance to do much else but i will be posting some more views later, thanks again for all your advice.

If it is all about the swan definitely the 2nd image got what the image wants to say. But little lack of something in post processing can do.

The 4th image is really nice but makes me wonder whats on the end of the leading line. Could be something Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Mar 11, 2017, 16:07
Last Post by MrB
Feb 16, 2016, 12:16
Last Post by Jocko
Jan 29, 2016, 02:30