Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

streetlights.. with tails! why?

Here's a crop from a picture I took tonight.
[Image: unstable.jpg]

The camera was on a tripod (I wouldn't do a 10 second handheld exposure even with IS Tongue).
To me, it looks like camera movement, but I was using a tripod.
Could it possibly be caused by camera vibrations from the mirror flipping up (a need for mirror lockup?)
Or I've read that when using a long lens, to rest your hand on the top of the lens to stop vibrations, when it's on a tripod, but I was using a short lens, so didn't do that.

Or good excuse to get a new tripod (which is on its way! hopefully)

Sometimes it's a good idea to use the self timer for long exposures. If your tripod is not really rock steady, the push of the button can cause camera shake already.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Hey Adam,

I always try to use a remote or self-timer for shots like that for exactly that reason. When you press the shutter button invariably you squeeze the camera down onto the tripod head, moving it just a little bit. Self timer is annoying, but wireless remote is great (haven't tried wired remote). Remote is pretty much essential for doing any "bulb" work (with wireless remote, you press once to open shutter, then press again to close it).

Theres a lot of work in there with the clone tool in PS to rid a whole city of its "tails".

"There's 8 million tails in the naked city, this is just one of them" - Dragnet. Wink

Good to meet you today. We'll have to do it again sometime (and I hopefully won't lose you guys next time!)

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I may also agree with the theory of camera shake. The photo doesn't really look all that crisp. What camera do you shoot with again Adam? Is it the 300D? If so there is a tutorial available to build a wired remote that works great and very cost effective. I use a home made unit myself.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I Paid $29 USD for my 300D wired remote, I use a hack for Nevo on my IPAQ to use it as an IR wireless remote. Cost $0.

And for those without an Ipaq the remotes should only be about $20-40 , mine for the Pentax was AUS$40, my wired one was AUS$80 for the Pentax unit, a friend bought one for his Nikon film camera and it cost him AUS$200, ouch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

I usually use the 2sec timer on tripod.

Wow, Craig, you can hack an ipaq to function as an IR remote? Any links? Big Grin

I paid AU$34 for my Canon RC-1 remote. The 350D is also compatible with the RC-5 I think, but I think the RC-1 is better because it has a clip to be stored on your camera strap and has a "2 sec delay" mode as well as "instant mode". I don't think the RC-5 has those things.

Although AU$34 is a lot of money for what amounts to under $1 worth of parts, it is pretty good when compared to the likes of Nikon as Pete points out.
While I'm definately the type of person who is happy to get my hands dirty and build little things like the wired electronic remote for a 300D, I'm also lazy enough to realise that for AU$34 I can get a nicely-engineered and very simple alternative and not worry about dodgy connections, tangled wires, where I'm going to store it when not in use, and so on. But if I were facing a $200 bill for a Nikon remote, well then that DIY job is looking pretty good.

I haven't tried using an iPaq as a remote, but I have tried using a couple of Palm-pilots as remotes in the past with poor results. The IR ports in these devices are not designed to be used as remotes usually, and your success may vary a LOT from model to model and brand to brand. It sounds like Bob has got something that works well though Smile

I also have a .ccf profile with the Canon remote codes in it for anyone who has a programmable remote that is compatible with .ccf files (ie Philips Pronto, TIRA, etc). I can email this on request (it's only 5kb).

www.remotecentral.com is the best resource I can suggest on programmable remotes if anyone is interested.

Adrian Broughton

We use the Ipaqs at work and the newer ones come with "Nevo" software that does it for you, like having a programable remote, I am guessing that someone has found out what the camera uses and changed the Nevo software to suit. The Ipaqs have a pretty good range, at least 3-4 metres.

Albert Einstein

The Nikon remote control for the D70 is around $26 (US). I have one, but most of the times I'm too lazy to get it out. The self timer actually does the job for long exposures, it has me waiting 10 secs and that is less than I need to find the remote.

I use the remote for self portraits or other setups where I don't want to be behind the camera.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Glad to hear at least the D70 remote is a reasonable price. Smile I totally believe there are $200 remotes out there though (for Nikon and probably Canon and almost certainly stuff like Leica)
Having a look through the number of different Canon remotes, I can't understand for the life of me why any camera company would need to develop so many different types of wireless remote. At *most* I can only think of four types:
1. Mechanical Cable (for old cameras)
2. Wired electronic
3. Wireless Infra-red
4. Wireless RF

Its crazy. It's not like the remotes have slowly added loads of other functions to them like stereo remotes have over the years (although some extra functions might be useful).

Adrian Broughton

I am actually quite proud of the wired remote I built that cost me $8.00 to build. Smile The wired canon version here is about $45.00.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I remember that Peter used some program in his Palm to set it off Smile
I've tried using my mobile phone handsfree kit before, but it'll open the shutter as soon as it's plugged in; perhaps I should try a different brand one, or cut the connections and rewire; or I could just make one from scratch using the plans on the internet!

And then I'll use it for next time Wink

thanks for the suggestion.

Hopefuly I can get my tripod tonight! Smile

guerito Wrote:The Nikon remote control for the D70 is around $26 (US). I have one, but most of the times I'm too lazy to get it out. The self timer actually does the job for long exposures, it has me waiting 10 secs and that is less than I need to find the remote.

I use the remote for self portraits or other setups where I don't want to be behind the camera.

Does the D70 do mirror lockup on the 10 second delay, my Ds has 10 second delay with no lockup and 2 second with mirror lockup? You can use the wireless/infa red remote to set it off which is nice. I prefer the wired remote for most things though, especially for cose up work, it also has a slide position for bulb.

Albert Einstein

adam Wrote:Hopefuly I can get my tripod tonight! Smile

What tripod are you getting?

Albert Einstein

Manfrotto 055 and 322 head.
I gave my aunty my shopping list and she came back midnight this morning (midnight this morning? I mean 12am on Monday),
so I'll find out tonight whether she bought it or not!!! haaaaaaaahaha SmileSmileSmile

Tonight if she visits us, or if we visit her....

but I won't be home until late Sad

I have a 128RC fluid head & 190D tripod set, have been doing video work for years on it, going to get a three way camera head for it when I get around to it, Flecthders has them for around AU$150. Also have an old smaller sized Velbon tripod that is about 25 years old, way past due for replacement but I do have a really clever quick release attachment for it that I got when my bag of camera gear was stolen when the house was burgled a couple of years ago.

Albert Einstein

hmmm... have you ever considered that the shake was caused by the vehicles passing by and vibrating the platform? one way to minimise this would be to get a sturdier tripod or weigh down your tripod to make it more stable.

the tails look very small and indicate very small vibrations.

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

I never thought of that possibility!
I want to go out and take more night shots since I got my tripod, but got exam on Saturday! so been busy preparing for that.