Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

which DSLR?

This may double up on some of Julian's thread, especially under the section "2. What camera would you like to have, and why?",
but I would like to know;
If you were looking to buy a DSLR right now, which would you get, and why?
Please be realistic (I'm not saying that buying a 1Ds Mark II is unrealistic, but only put it if you really are seriously interested). (I'm starting to remind myself of that guy at camera solutions [the camera shop I don't like - where I asked for a lens and he asked if I was serious!] yuk!! Never go there) hehe

I'm seriously interested in two cameras, amazingly enough one of these is the Kodak DSLR which looks quite decent (although I haven't read much in the way of reviews) the other contender might be the 1D MKII which looks like a great all rounder.

I've got my eye on the Pentax *ist DS... probably because it's the most affordable, and not too shabby features wise either. Paired with a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di... sweet! Big Grin

Probably the 1DmkII if I were to seriously upgrade. For my use there is not enough improvement over the 10D to jump to the 20D.

slejhamer Wrote:Probably the 1DmkII if I were to seriously upgrade. For my use there is not enough improvement over the 10D to jump to the 20D.

No use for a second body? I'm finding with doing weddings that its one of the handiest things but a much higher resolution would be the biggest boon for me in that regard hence the 14mp Kodak.

I was thinking of getting a 2nd body;
to put my other lens on when I get it (hehe)

and would like something that is 'better' than the 300D Smile So was looking at 20D Tongue

20D's primary advantage over the 10D (and thus the 300D too), besides the extra 2 megapixels, is better flash metering. Canon scrapped the old ETTL and came up with the creatively named ETTL-2 system, which supposedly won't be as easily tricked by specular highlights as the former system.

Anyway, my current body gets me by... Wink

i would want a 20D as well .. if i had csh ... maybe you can buy 2 adam ^__^ and maybe theyll discount for you a bit

At the moment, if I were buying again, I would still buy a Rebel... The guy I shoot with has a 20D and the pictures are identical, the low light performance of the 20D isn't much better... but then I tend to manually focus for a lot of thigs, so the autofocusing isn't letting me down.

Maybe after I've had the rebel for a year or so I'll be looking for something bigger and "better".

I've seen pictures from 20D which made me think that it's high-iso performance was Big Grin

I love my D70 and would buy it again, but what do I know I am new to this thing. Tongue

Teddy

Nikon d70
Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5g ED
Nikkor 70-210 1:4-5.6 d

At the time I bought my 300D, it was because I wanted a DSLR, and it was the best value for money at the time.
I think that if it were a few months later, I might be on the Nikon boat! Tongue

I also just got a D70. shopped around a bit, and mostly got it for the speed. It seemed to shoot faster and i was able to change setting faster than most other models i looked at. Most of my photos are sports/outdoors.

I've got a D70 too. It was not much of a decision, I had Nikon lenses already. If I had the money, I'd buy the D2X, though. Smile

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Wow! So many D70 users Big Grin hehe';

Welcome to shuttertalk snownow Big Grin Big Grin

G'day snownow! Welcome to Shuttertalk! Do share some photos if you have some! Big Grin

not likely to be getting a dslr any time soon, but would definitely be interested in the konica-minolta 7D.

am using a km A2 at the moment, really like the way the buttons and everything are laid out, and i think the 7D would be similarly easy to use. and even more importantly, it has built in anti-shake... not a big fan of flash photography, so enjoy the idea of what would be possible with iso 1600 or 3200 with a fast lens and a 2-3 stop advantage in handholdable shutter speeds...

if it *does* come down to using a flash, the minolta wireless flash system also gives a lot of nice flexibility for no extra cost. play around with it a fair bit with my A2, so it's definitely useful, not just a gimmick.

The Rebel XT looks good for me. At the rate manufacturers are bringing out new models, I think buying a cheap model and upgrading each year would be better than buying a 20D and upgrading every two years.

I want one of those!

The fact the VF on the XT only covers 90% of what the sensor sees will stop me buying it. I'll stick with the 100% Rebel until the 30D I think.

Is that so Craig?

I was under the impression that all DSLRs didn't have 100% frame coverage...

I thought it was a carryover from the film days...

If the rebel doesn't I'm surprised I have never noticed it.... and I have deliberately shot frames with things right to the edge4 and they have turned out fine...... though maybe I am hallucinating?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post