Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

which new flash?

hi all i am thinking about buying a speed light for my nikon.. any suggestions?

I have a friend that was interested in buying a flash recently and the one he set his sights on was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-400-Speed...B000KKPN5C . Hope it helps.

I have a Nissan Di622. Much cheaper than the Camera makers option. Flash is something I would like to know more about.

If you buy non Nikon, watch that it "speaks" fully to the camera, some I have looked at are not really forthcoming on this issue, counting the contacts on the flash base and hot shoe, is a good start. If it does not fully converse, bone up on, "The Law of Square Inverse" !! Ed.

Flashes that are getting good reviews and raves, (and very very cost-effective) are the Yungnuo YN-565 and 568 "speedlights". Another, which is essentially the same as the Yungnuo is the Triopo TR-980/981 rebranded versions (and cheaper). Doing a comparison with either of these with the Nikon SB-900/910 will make any differences/similarities clear. I do have the Triopo 980, have had no problems and am extremely happy with it.

Thanks peeps for ur advice on speedlights I have taken it all in, I have been comparing a few and some that have been mentioned, so far the yangnuo has been pleasing to the eye, I haven't heard of the triopo but I will check it out, branded nikon is a bit on the dear side, to start with as I'm not sure if I will get on with speedlight.........

If you get serious flash wise, few pointers. Off shoe is the best way, but shoe and cable can be expensive. Normally Landscape pics, should not be too bad, as the flash will throw the shadow down, and behind. If wanting an upright pic, still take landscape, and crop to upright, shadow still behind. Modern camera pixel capacity, easily allows this. A sheet of tissue folded and held over flash with elastic band, makes a good diffuser, more folds, for closer subjects. Bounce is practical in confined space, too large, and nowhere to really bounce from. Keep experimenting, costs nothing. Ed.

(Sep 2, 2013, 10:22)EdMak Wrote:  If you get serious flash wise, few pointers. Off shoe is the best way, but shoe and cable can be expensive.

"Can be' is the operative phrase. If you don't need the TTL connection, you can use just about any speedlite as an optical slave, using the pop-up flash on you camera to set it off. No additional cost. Or wireless triggers like the PixelKing.

(Sep 2, 2013, 10:22)EdMak Wrote:  Normally Landscape (*orientation*) pics, should not be too bad, as the flash will throw the shadow down, and behind. If wanting an upright pic, still take landscape, and crop to upright, shadow still behind. Modern camera pixel capacity, easily allows this.

That's only necessary if the speedlite is mounted to the camera body, and not on a rotating bracket. If the speedlite is off camera, or on a rotating bracket like a StroboFrame, then there's no need to shoot landscape orientation when portrait is more appropriate.

(Sep 2, 2013, 10:22)EdMak Wrote:  A sheet of tissue folded and held over flash with elastic band, makes a good diffuser, more folds, for closer subjects.

The tissue paper trick should only be a last resort. Better would be to get a "Stofen" style flash diffuser cover, or move up to a LumiQuest. The LQ makes the flash 'light' a larger source and softens even better.

(Sep 2, 2013, 10:22)EdMak Wrote:  Bounce is practical in confined space, too large, and nowhere to really bounce from. Keep experimenting, costs nothing. Ed.

I agree. Keep trying things out so you get familiar with your equipment and techniques.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Wow in a short chat that's a lot to take in, I read up on the different flash modes, is TTL neccessary? So much I have taken in over the last week head pickled?!*#

TTL just makes it so easy, no thinking on your part, point and shoot, result virtually guaranteed.

I trained in Flashbulb days, all settings done by user, did have a guide number on smaller bulbs, for amateurs. PF45 & 60's, Fist size, originally filled with magnesium, do your own thing. Did learn a lot, fill in flash was challenging! but got there. Ed.

Wal-e Re, you can use just about any speedlite as an optical slave, using the pop-up flash on you camera to set it off.

Am I understanding correctly, that camera flash will trigger any external gun, without any additional equipment.

Re tissue, that's all I have used since I went digital, about 2005, never found the need for alternative. Thanks. Ed.

(Sep 3, 2013, 12:21)EdMak Wrote:  Wal-e Re, you can use just about any speedlite as an optical slave, using the pop-up flash on you camera to set it off.

Am I understanding correctly, that camera flash will trigger any external gun, without any additional equipment.

Re tissue, that's all I have used since I went digital, about 2005, never found the need for alternative. Thanks. Ed.

EdMak;

If you're asking a question, please add a question mark (?) to indicate that.

All the modern units I'm aware of have optical slave function available.
In Nikon it's the SU-4 mode.

You may not KNOW that such devices as I described will affect your images in a positive way if you've never used one.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

Thanks. All my professional life, never used one, but, in a different era. Was aware of slave, but took your post to meant any flashgun. Still have a few from 70/80s era, thought I could use one. Ed.

(Sep 4, 2013, 11:33)EdMak Wrote:  Thanks. All my professional life, never used one, but, in a different era. Was aware of slave, but took your post to meant any flashgun. Still have a few from 70/80s era, thought I could use one. Ed.

I see optical slave triggers coming out to a PC connector for well under $10 on eBay all the time.

They are not usable outside or where there are others 'flashing' you <VBG>.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

More thanks. Have you posted any pics I can see. Ed.

(Sep 5, 2013, 00:50)EdMak Wrote:  More thanks. Have you posted any pics I can see. Ed.

If that was directed to me, my SmugMug page is listed in my signature.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Sep 1, 2013, 15:46)funkymunky Wrote:  hi all i am thinking about buying a speed light for my nikon.. any suggestions?

Buy a Nikon branded. I brought a Sigma for a Canon I owned and it would not work to its full potential.

(Feb 6, 2014, 13:13)marcandsebe Wrote:  
(Sep 1, 2013, 15:46)funkymunky Wrote:  hi all i am thinking about buying a speed light for my nikon.. any suggestions?

Buy a Nikon branded. I brought a Sigma for a Canon I owned and it would not work to its full potential.

Yongnuo YN568EX or the similar Triopo TR981 (both high speed sync) have been getting good reviews. Good price and performance compared to Nikon Speedlights.
I have the TR981 which is actually a rebranded Yongnuo, and have had no problems.

(Feb 6, 2014, 13:43)nikbill Wrote:  
(Feb 6, 2014, 13:13)marcandsebe Wrote:  

Yongnuo YN568EX or the similar Triopo TR981 (both high speed sync) have been getting good reviews. Good price and performance compared to Nikon Speedlights.
I have the TR981 which is actually a rebranded Yongnuo, and have had no problems.

You have already made up your mind then?. I had not heard of Yongnuo until last week. Saw it on eBay. Must be Chinese. Have not heard of the other brand. If it's a cheap Nikon, buy a cheap one, if it's a quality Nikon, then think about it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Sep 4, 2016, 14:17
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 4, 2016, 11:09