DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Need Your Technical Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Actually tonight I tried to take some photographs, I am not so well about night shots, I know tripod is the best one but I need to learn some points why it happens or why it doesn't work. But I can ask with my photographs,

1) This one, I took it outside but it was under the street lights, there was so much lights... anyway, ISO was automatic and f was 5,6 (I can't change more than this) and I took this one,

[Image: 86_moon1.jpg]

Why I can't take the moon clear... Is it about lens or what? My camera Canon EOS 500D - EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS objective

2) These are another try for night shots tonight, again I should say, it was under street lights and there was too much lights, it was not easy to be focus something but I tried once.

[Image: 63_2.jpg]
this one was taken from the car...

[Image: 33_3.jpg]
This one was taken when the car stopped from the open window and I wanted to take the island's lights but not well.

[Image: 28_81_8.jpg]
and again same when we stopped I wanted to take the lights on the hill at the back of the tree but not well again.

These are terrible shots, I didn't like them but I know I need to learn. If you can help me about this I would be grateful,

Thank you,
with my love,
nia
Higher ISO or a Tripod is a must for night shots.
Hey Nia, with the first one, your camera might not be able to lock focus or might be locking focus on something other than the moon. Perhaps try focusing manually.

As EB said - a tripod is really a must for night photography. What you will need to do is set your camera to a low ISO sensitivity and longer shutter speed which will give you less grainy photos. The tripod will help keep things sharp.

If you leave your camera on auto, most likely it will bump up the ISO sensitivity which will lead to pixelly, grainy photos.
Hi, Nia!

I have attempted some night photography over the past year, not always successfully, but I have learned some things.

Yes, a tripod and a cable release are absolutely essential, since the exposure times will be quite lenghty.

Since the camera will be on a tripod, I would tend to keep the ISO lower to help avoid noise (those funny coloured speckles) in the really dark areas of the image.

Take the camera mode off Auto or Program, and try to use Manual to experiment with different shutter speed and aperature combinations. This took me many years to acheive, but eventually you will find that the results are worth it. Check the histogram chart to make sure that the big peaks are not pushed to either end.

You have a great camera that is capable of producing superb images. The colour of some of the night photos looks to be way off. If you have some software capable of postprocessing, take the photos in RAW format. Then you can adjust the colour balance/temperature to great advantage.

I had to take many hundreds of night photos until I got a few good ones. But it was really a lot of fun and a great learning experience (similar to learning the opposite: how to take photos of snow and ice; something that you probably won't have to worry about).

You may wish to keep a flashlight handy so that you can see the controls on the camera in the darkness for adjustment.

Regards.....Dennis
EnglishBob Wrote:Higher ISO or a Tripod is a must for night shots.
Thank you EnglishBob, I will buy as soon as a Tripod, seems that it is what I need.
You are so nice by stopping and by sharing with me, I'm grateful for this,

Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia
shuttertalk Wrote:Hey Nia, with the first one, your camera might not be able to lock focus or might be locking focus on something other than the moon. Perhaps try focusing manually.

As EB said - a tripod is really a must for night photography. What you will need to do is set your camera to a low ISO sensitivity and longer shutter speed which will give you less grainy photos. The tripod will help keep things sharp.

If you leave your camera on auto, most likely it will bump up the ISO sensitivity which will lead to pixelly, grainy photos.
Dear Admin, I can almost understand what you mean. I should use my camera manuel and I should learn more about this. And yes, seems Tripod is what I need especially. As I said to EB, yes as soon as possible I will buy one. There are two concepts in my mind to take night photos and macro, for one I need Tripod for second one need a new lens... But everything can't be at one time Smile Just for two months (before joining this site) I haven't any plan to have a new camera but when they noticed that I was interesting with photography especially with this site, my family bought a birthday gift so I have a new camera for just a few months. This is great for me and I hope I can be a good photographer.
Thank you, I appreciate your suggestions and your helpful words.

Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia
enviroguy Wrote:Hi, Nia!

I have attempted some night photography over the past year, not always successfully, but I have learned some things.

Yes, a tripod and a cable release are absolutely essential, since the exposure times will be quite lenghty.

Since the camera will be on a tripod, I would tend to keep the ISO lower to help avoid noise (those funny coloured speckles) in the really dark areas of the image.

Take the camera mode off Auto or Program, and try to use Manual to experiment with different shutter speed and aperature combinations. This took me many years to acheive, but eventually you will find that the results are worth it. Check the histogram chart to make sure that the big peaks are not pushed to either end.

You have a great camera that is capable of producing superb images. The colour of some of the night photos looks to be way off. If you have some software capable of postprocessing, take the photos in RAW format. Then you can adjust the colour balance/temperature to great advantage.

I had to take many hundreds of night photos until I got a few good ones. But it was really a lot of fun and a great learning experience (similar to learning the opposite: how to take photos of snow and ice; something that you probably won't have to worry about).

You may wish to keep a flashlight handy so that you can see the controls on the camera in the darkness for adjustment.

Regards.....Dennis
WOW! Dennis, these are so precious, I noted all of them. Thank you. I am learning, I am learning... What a lucky one I am to have masters such as you all photographers, I understand all your points and suggestions, it seems to be so exciting for me when I have Tripod. I love photography, and I love my city especially during night. My camera, Canon, is the last model, even I can't see yet photos of this one so much. I am learning it, and yes I should use it manuel. Thank you once again Dennis, I am so happy like a child. (and excited and impatient) Smile

Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia
This is an illustration of a night photo I took recently with a camera similar to yours, Nia. It is the skyline of the city of Toronto in Canada. At the time there were about 6 other photographers all lined up along the pier taking similar photos of the same subject.

I tried many different camera settings in the manual mode. This exposure was done at 5 seconds, f11, focal length at 35mm. (Nia, your camera and lens are capable of taking a shot like this.)

It is not the greatest photo and in retrospect it might have been bettter using a longer exposure to smooth out the ripples in the water. Pavel was there that night and obtained some bettter images than mine.

[Image: _MG_4192_JPG-Web.jpg]
WOW! How I wish to take a photo like this one in here, in Istanbul at Bosphorus. This is so beautiful, do you know, I love cities much more during night! It becomes much more magical by all these city lights. Thank you Dennis, you are being so helpful and nice to me.
God Bless you, love, nia
Nia - as everyone has said. Buying a tripod is the only way to shoot night photos. You will be amazed by the difference.
Wedding Shooter Wrote:Nia - as everyone has said. Buying a tripod is the only way to shoot night photos. You will be amazed by the difference.
Yes, I know, it seems to be great to buy Tripod. But I spent so much these last months so I have to wait for this. By the way did you see my last post (Tonight) I took some night photos at the Bosphorus, not so good but if you think of my situation they are not so bad. I hope. I am learning dear photographer, of course I can't be as you all. But this is so enjoyable and exciting I can feel like that.

Thank you,
Have a nice day,
with my love,
nia
Hi Nia - yes I saw your post titled tonight. Here is a tip if you don't have a tripod. Put the camera on a table or some other stable position and use the self timer to trigger the camera. This will avoid you shaking the camera by pressing the shutter button. At night use the automatic exposure in P mode at first and see what the shot looks like.

Take note of the exposure the camera uses and see if you are happy with the result. Then switch to manual mode and put in the settings the camera used on the first shot (make sure your flash is off on both occasions). Now if you want it brighter than make the shutter speed slower. If you want it darker - set the shutter speed faster. Shoot at an ISO of 400 as you don't have to worry about camera movement.

You may end up with a 30 second exposure - this is fine. Just remember to use the self timer - very important. You will be amazed at the result. Keep adjusting the shutter speed until you are happy with the result. Then post the image here.

Using this technique you can easily get a shot that is very satisfying.
Wedding Shooter Wrote:Hi Nia - yes I saw your post titled tonight. Here is a tip if you don't have a tripod. Put the camera on a table or some other stable position and use the self timer to trigger the camera. This will avoid you shaking the camera by pressing the shutter button. At night use the automatic exposure in P mode at first and see what the shot looks like.

Take note of the exposure the camera uses and see if you are happy with the result. Then switch to manual mode and put in the settings the camera used on the first shot (make sure your flash is off on both occasions). Now if you want it brighter than make the shutter speed slower. If you want it darker - set the shutter speed faster. Shoot at an ISO of 400 as you don't have to worry about camera movement.

You may end up with a 30 second exposure - this is fine. Just remember to use the self timer - very important. You will be amazed at the result. Keep adjusting the shutter speed until you are happy with the result. Then post the image here.

Using this technique you can easily get a shot that is very satisfying.
I will try dear friend, but WOW! seems easy but needs to try more and have an experience! Actually I put my camera on the table and I tried to take like that but I should have done something less or wrong. But I think I understood what are telling me, I am excited again. Thank you so much, I note all your words and I will listen to them.

with my love,
nia