DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Is Square Sexy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok with the recent talk of Hasselblad's over here I have been wondering what you folx think about square format images. Being that Hasselblad is famour for their 6 x 6 cameras (even though they caved and made 6 x 4.5 backs)

So what do you think of square? What is your favourite aspect ratio?
I think it's different... most people are used to 3:2 or 4:3 ratio so when they come across a square pic, it stands out.

In terms of shooting square - you have to frame properly and be a bit creative otherwise you end up with a lot of dead space.
I like square - but I don't own it. It is close to what we see - which is sort of round - the rectangular format seems arbitrary to me - as if it is based on some older techology - which it probably is.
I've never played with square aside from cropping a few photos that way, some look great but it is a bit harder to master.

Can you imagine working with round images?
StudioJ Wrote:Can you imagine working with round images?

Quick! Get a patent in now! You might be sitting on a gold mine Smile
I tihnk square would be nice to sue with black and white but for colour I wouldn't really worry too muc, it would just seem to odd. I might try if I was trying abstract photography.
It's too expensive for me. We used to have a nice Yashika Twin lens that took medium format square negatives and slides. They were sharp and wonderful. You could see the image by holding the slide to the light without magnification. The Hassalblad is a great camera for pros. Anyway, I'm into digital.

--Don
Does Hassalblad do Digital cameras?
any one know if they make a Velvia film camera, if they do could I please have some links.
I think sqare can be quite effective ..
but since i have a 3:2 format .. i dont really like to crop ...
These days the film backs can be replaced with digital backs with a sensor much like the other digital cameras except of course quite a bit bigger.

You can get a Hasselblad H1 and 22mp digital back for around $30k down here, there are 6mp backs around the $5k mark secondhand. You might think that its a hell of a lot of money for 6mp but its in a different league of quality, much like the old true watts vs PMPO watts.

Being pure 16 bit and with a much higher dynamic range (exposure latitude!) they have a lead already, if you are into MF that is.
peter Wrote:I think sqare can be quite effective ..
but since i have a 3:2 format .. i dont really like to crop ...

Oi! What do you mean you don't like to crop? Not many of the print sizes are 3:2 anyway they're all oddball sizes like 1 1/3 or 1.25:1 or any number of other obscure things, I'm amazed the industry has lasted as long with so many different sizes.
When you look down onto the ground glass of one of those Hassy babies, your heart will melt for the 1:1 frame. It's so perfect, simple, and visually captivating. It also makes for great douple/tripple shots stitched together into panoramic, thanks to the digital age...

Dewy, I just got back a roll of 120 (12 exposures) Velvia 100 speed that I ran through a Hasselblad 501c at the beach, and I must say, awesome images. Nothing matches the print quality you can get from these compact yet high quality cameras. I love em! Thank God for my school photo program. Otherwise I'd never have even known about the world of MF...

[Image: 9247995-O.jpg]

-matt-
Very nice shots, I was told a little while ago if I can get some money to try some velvia but the film is supposedly $12-20 a pop over here I am going to have to look at getting the film from over seas and then I have to look at cameras, Might not happen to soon with film costing as much as it does, then I have to find some one with a processing machine =(
Well, while we're on the topic of aspect ratios.... my FZ shoots in 4:3 aspect , however, every photo frame known to man is designed for 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10! This means cropping for every print! What's the point of careful composition if you have to crop every time anyway! The most annoying part is when I'm shooting an entire day of snapshots (family stuff) and keep having to remind myself to compose for 3:2, not 4:3. Argh. What I'd like is the option to shoot in either 3:2 or 4:3.
Yeah, most consumer digicams do 4:3 ratio because that's the ratio of monitor screens, and you most often view photos on the screen (well that's their thinking anyway). Some do have an option of 3:2 ratio (canon and olympus, possibly others as well). Of course, DSLRs all do 3:2...

But yeah, I know what you mean about the cropping. I don't mind it so much, but it's yet another step you have to go through when printing.
That is a stunning image Matt, the water is like black glass. What did you capture that with?
i have one of those cheap plastic Holga 1:1 cameras ..hahaha
lomo effect..
StudioJ Wrote:That is a stunning image Matt, the water is like black glass. What did you capture that with?
He said in his post it was a Hasselblad 501c with Velvia 100 speed film =)
peter Wrote:i have one of those cheap plastic Holga 1:1 cameras ..hahaha
lomo effect..
I still don't quite understand lomo, is it digital? do you have any photos you can uplaod?
haha .. no i dont have photos to upload .. lomo is just an interesting effect on the image that u get from using cheap plastic lenses ... (or throwing your camera on the ground till its broken .. or maybe smear vasalene on your sensor .. hahah )
I'd like to try MF... when I'm rich Smile
My uncle is into MF.

Matthew, That's a very nice picture Big Grin I saw clouds like that today while I was at uni :p

Remember the old old old old kodak camera which gave round pictures on a roll?
I don't Smile
Well, I was looking for that camera which gives the round images (I'm sure someone here knows....)
I thought it was the brownie, so did some search, and found this interesting page

http://www.ozcamera.com/k-brownie.html
old cameras!
Question...

MF=?

Also,
adam Wrote:http://www.ozcamera.com/k-brownie.html
old cameras!
My family had 2 cameras from this page, a Tele-Ektra 2 and a Tele-Ektralite 20. I had a Tele-Ektra 1 for while when I was young...
My dad said hes bring a hasselblad home from work for me to try out one day from work.. thatd be fun ..
Your Dad will bring something HOME? I feel so old!
Pages: 1 2