DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Help with selecting backup software needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a repost of a question I posted elsewhere in this forum. I am afraid the post will be lost there, so I started a new topic. Sorry for posting twice.

Please help: advise on backup software. Switched to Windows 7.
Here is what I am looking for:

1) Fast backup of large amounts of data
2) Reliable - no crashes, no hogging memory, info when file can not be backed up properly, check of the file backup
3) Display in a simple way which files are backed up.
4) simple selection of files to backup by type (.PSD, .NEF, .DXO etc) and by directory
5) Automatic backup (preferable whenever changes were made and the computer is not in use, but scheduled backups are also OK)
6)works with Windows 7
7)Not too expensive

Thank you

Pavel
I actually use Microsoft Synctoy.... does most of what you want.... and it's free.
Great that you make this question I need something too...

The thing is that I have two external disks and one of them, the one that has my backups has to be moved to a bigger one in order to have that one free for my pictures of this year... I tried one program DirSyncPro l.02 and it took days to backup my disc when it was 85%, it didn't work any more...
Hey Pavel,

I can't offer any suggestions as I mainly backup my Mac using Time machine + rsync scripts, but perhaps take a look here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwbackup.html

I find the user comments to be quite useful.

Have you decided on a backup strategy - i.e. do you want just a straight copy of your files (in which case a sync utility would work well) or do you want backup with incremental ones, previous versions, etc?

Just using a straight copy is much simpler, and you have all your files immediately accessible if your hard drive fails. The main drawback is that the backup reflects your hard drive exactly, so if you accidentally deleted a file a week ago and you synced yesterday, then it's probably gone. Suggestions here would be what Craig and Irma suggested, SyncBack, or others. I use rsync which is a unix command line utility.

A true backup is more complicated, and usually stores your files in a container format which may require the use of additional software to restore easily. Also consumes more disk space.
Acronis True Image: cheap, excellent: use it either as a cumulative or "replacement" backup of anything and everything: you can back up whole partitions, take a ghost of your whole system AND of your OS too; if a HD dies, the actual Acronis disc can boot your pc and restore your OS "on the fly" even letting you begin work as it rebuilds the image of what you backed up on your fresh drive. Very simple, even a duffer like me can use it: I like it because it does everything from a data backup of files/folders if you want it to, to a full ghost of your entire sytem.
There is no need to worried about backup with windows 7. It's so easy same like we are taking backup in windows Xp. But just you have to find out the proper way just some option are changed but other thing are same so you just tried out it will work.