DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: GF1 Pulling detail out of too-wide images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Committing to using a camera and only one 40mm prime presents its challenges - particularly when trying to pick detail out of wide landscapes. Here is what I have discovered - RAW mode on this camera is capable of pulling a LOT of detail off the sensor. Check it out:

Uncropped original image:

[Image: uncropped.jpg]

Zoomed in:

[Image: aftercrop.jpg]
Oooo..nowthen, Our Toad: is this "100%" crop? ISO?...and what was the point of focus here? Fascinating, captain....
Sorry, just found it was 200...and at f11 too: nice.
I also found that even with it downrezzed to jpeg, there's still extractable detail from the shadows(below)..so in raw/tiff even more, and at 100 f5.6-f8(?) even more again...?... I have to say, that is quite impressive. Smile
(Stealing your thunder again mate; apologies Rolleyes)

[Image: aftercropZigd.jpg]
No worries Zig - I am glad that somebody found this as interesting as I did...

Not sure what crop % this is - I just cropped it to taste. Its a pretty small piece of the frame at any rate...
Definitely! By all means send a 100% crop(particularly, say, any centre to edge ones at ISO 100, f5.6/f8) if you fancy and if you've time, to my home mail..but I'm sure this is of great interest on these boards too!
I haven't tried that with mine, but I'm definitely going to give it a go. I'd like to see how the GH1 compares without the 20/1.7.
What lens do you use normally on the GH1? I have to say that the 20mm F1.7 seems to be a tack sharpness wise...
I usually use either the 7-14 or the 14-140. I've tried the 20/1.7, and my impression is that it is really sharp, but I haven't gotten it out of the camera store yet. I'm thinking that I'll get it once it's finally available, but I'm not quite convinced.
matthew Wrote:I've tried the 20/1.7, and my impression is that it is really sharp, but I haven't gotten it out of the camera store yet. I'm thinking that I'll get it once it's finally available.
I got mine from Vistek in Toronto (your neck of the woods)
I've given up on getting the 20/1.7 - and ordered it on-line. I should have it in 6-10 working days. Vistek and friends have the GF1 kit, but no lenses on their own. A very few came into stock once upon a time, but nothing more for a couple of months.

I did a sharpness comparison between the Panny and Oly 7-14 lenses, which included manually focusing (with the magnified view) on a detail near the corner. The Panasonic did better than the Olympus equipment in my comparison, and the lens puts in some pretty good results in proper tests.

[Image: 813050336_uHL4v-L.jpg]
Toad Wrote:Committing to using a camera and only one 40mm prime presents its challenges - particularly when trying to pick detail out of wide landscapes. Here is what I have discovered - RAW mode on this camera is capable of pulling a LOT of detail off the sensor. Check it out:

Uncropped original image:

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...ropped.jpg

Zoomed in:

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...ercrop.jpg
Dear Robert, I haven't seen this! WOW! This is amazing. The photograph and also what you did by cropping... Fascinated me. These logs and also these taller buildings and with white sailings, you captured an amazing composition. Like a great poetry! How I missed this. So beautiful dear Robert, inspirationally hits me.

Sorry for finding now and thank you,
with my love,
nia
Thanks nia...
You're making me salivate here Toad. Big Grin

*runs off to check FedEx tracking website*
"Estimated delivery Jun 17, 2010 by 5:00 PM"