DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Pictures for web sites.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All... Smile

With the time I have had some little jobs to take pictures for web pages, and I really don't know how to handle some situations.. Sad

~ Does anyone has done this before?

~ Is there a special contract for this?

~ What should I offer?

~ How to deliver my pictures, (more images) right out of the camera or (less images) with post processing?

~ How is the way I should charge, by time, by amount of pictures?

I have seen that there are a lot of people that just need a web page for presentation... just to have the image of their business in the web. I was thinking if they are calling me for the pictures I could as well make the web page myself. I did it once already for a friend and she is very happy with my work.

Thanks so much for your advice... Smile
Hey Irma, great that you've got something going on the side.

Haven't done this myself I can't really offer solid advice, but perhaps you could charge different packages to cater towards people's needs. I think you should be charging based on your time (after all, time is money for you) but most clients wouldn't know how long your processes take, so I would structure each packages based on something they can understand easily. e.g.

1. Unprocessed images on DVD
- 1 hour session, ~ 25 images $XXX
- 2 hour session, ~ 50 images $XXX
- 4 hour session, ~ 100 images $XXX
2. Processed images on DVD - ADD $XXX per image (possibly allow clients to see proofs and select which ones they want processed)
3. Custom web site - ADD $XXX

Anyway, those are just examples but hope that helps... Big Grin

Actually, now that I think about it, I think #2 should be structured more like #1, only increase the price / reduce the image count accordingly.
Thanks Jules,

I am happy that people call me to take pictures. I never thought about doing this because I find this photography very difficult, but I am happy to know that most of people I have photographed say they feel very confident and they don't feel threatened by the camera when I am taking pictures... Maybe because I spend all my time parroting and making jokes with them and they don't realize that at this time I am taking pictures. The thing they don't know also is that this parroting attitude from me appears when I am very nervous... Big Grin

Thanks a lot for your advice, too.

I like the idea of time and productivity.

My current job is in a physiotherapy clinic. I was there taking portraits of all the girls that work there and of the rooms. The girls saw the pictures and decided which picture was the best. so I post processed that one. But the owner told me she wanted to have all pictures I took anyway. It was three hours shooting.

I will have to go again to take pictures of the building because the day I was there it was cloudy and the bushes were not green and she wants to give a spring impression of the garden.

So most of my photography I do it is outside. To carry and take all my gear out is already a risk and time consuming. Most of the times I need to have G as an assistant. So I am taking pictures and he is watching in the computer together with the owner to see that the pictures are fine and are what they wanted.

I think at the moment I carry a lot of gear. but I wouldn't like to be missing something in the middle of the shooting.

About these pictures how can I handle the copy right thing? Do I have to have a model release for each girl or for the business?

May I use all those pictures for something else? let's say to show them in my own home page to promote my work?

Also I am in doubt with the size of the pictures, how big should they be?
Thanks a lot for the advice... Smile

I will start by finding a kind of model release that fits to what people always ask.
I wouldn't sell or give unprocessed pictures to anyone, if my work is out there, I want it looking it's best.
Thanks Craig for the advice. A friend of mine that saw my pictures told me the same.