DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Help Petographer Fix His FormMailer :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all... Colin is having some trouble with his form mailing script - I've been looking at it and it's quite wierd. When I try it, it works for me, but when he tries it, he gets a "403 forbidden error".

Just wondering if everyone could try out his contact page to see if you're getting the same error?
http://cloverdalephotography.com/contact.htm

p.s. do compliment him on his awesome looking site Smile
Nope - when I try it, I get this message:

ATTENTION!
Unfortunately there have been problems with the comments submission area. To be certain that we receive your comments, please resend your message to colin@cloverdalephotography.com or phone 604-575-1570 We are very sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your interest in Cloverdale Photography.

That's it!!! I'm taking my business elsewhere...
I get the same as Toad... Maybe CSIS is blocking it! Wink

Seriously, though... the only things that spring to mind are: the FormMail.pl script isn't installed correctly or the server settings are wrong... 'course, it shouldn't be working for ST in that case... Have you talked to your host?

BTW, I really like the image in the text area!!!!
CSIS?

Hm... Petographer said it when he disabled his security software, it worked!?!?

Anyway, I've tweaked some settings in the script - would people mind trying again?

Thanks!
shuttertalk Wrote:CSIS?
Sorry, ST... CSIS is the Canadian Security Intelligence Agency - our very own CIA. I just thought that since it seemed that since only us Canucks were having problems... oh, never mind.
Ok, it worked for me this time... though I'm on a different machine using a different browser, so it's hard to say if it's 'fixed'. I'll be home in about 10 hours (ugh!) and will try from there also.
There there possum, it worked alright for me, that makes two of us now!
The message that Toad got was my message on my thank you page. If you get that then there is a chance it sent. The message that ST is referring to is a 403 error. It is a white and blue screen. If you didn't get that then chances are it worked fine. I have since changed the message on my thank you page to, well... thank you. Tongue
Update
It seems that when I turned off my Norton Internet Security it worked for me. :| What the H-E-double hockey sticks!
Petographer Wrote:The message that Toad got was my message on my thank you page. If you get that then there is a chance it sent.

Seems easy to prove - did you get the messages? I sent 2 - both the same.
Ok, so you should have two messages from em as well... 403 is usually (in my limited experience) a permissions problem with a file or folder that the web app is trying to access on the server... since it's working for most, but not all, that seems unlikely.

When you try it, Colin, what address are you sending it 'from'? I have a host that doesn't allow messages to be sent directly within the domain via formmail... ie: a formail sent to 'you@mydomain' from 'me@mydomain.com' won't work...

Try sending it using a bogus e-mail address and see if that works - doesn't explain the Norton thing, though....
Ok, nevermind... I just tried again with a cloverdalephotography.com address and it worked so that's not it... (not that I really thought it was...)

Here's what w3c says about 403 errors:
Quote:10.4.4 403 Forbidden
The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 404 (Not Found) can be used instead.
Good detective work, Cailean. Now I think that I can help. I had this happen when I was building my website - turned out that I was trying to access a sub-directoy of the website directly - rather than through a webpage link.

Specifically - under my route directory www.photofx-canada.com , I have a subdirectory /images where the photos that I display on my site are kept. If I directly type www.photofx-canada.com/images into my browser - I get the 403 error - but I can access those images from code (src=/images etc.) within my webpages. Click on these links and see for yourself.
Everything is working fine. I just went through about 15 test e-mails from everyone. Thanks all for helping out. I really appreciate the help.
Hooray! Thanks everyone! Big Grin