DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Suguru - Silicone compound for DIY hacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just spotted this on lifehacker - suguru is a little silicone compound that cures at room temperature, and is perfect for little DIY projects. Apparently it is waterproof and flexible when cured (so you can attach it to fabric and other stuff that moves) and is self adhesive to aluminium, steel, ceramics, glass and other materials including plastics like perspex.

http://sugru.com/

It's not exactly cheap but I think it would be good for DIY enthusiasts as you can easily mould it and shape to do different things, and make your DIY projects actually look half good and functional. Some projects come to mind - bumpers and stoppers to protect camera gear, a mini tripod, cap keepers for your lenses, maybe a flash diffuser or something similar.

What do you guys think?
It depends on your needs. Flexible adhesive is rather suited to fabrics.
e.g. I made a little model of a stagecoach and the wheels were stuck using some 'dressmaking glue' ( the sort you put on sequins etc)
Now the wheel rims move on the spokes, as they are not rigidly fixed, so I have to do them again. :/
For most of my projects I use 'Devcon 5 minute epoxy' Sets in about 10-20 minutes but dries clear. Rather like Araldite, but that dries a strange colour.

Cap keepers for lenses ... I drill a 1mm hole somewhere on the cap and add a cord with a knot on one end and velcro on the other end and a bit of 'stick-on velcro' on either the camera or lens body, or the camera strap.