DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Dpreview now has review scores
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, not sure if you've noticed, but DPreview now have percentage scores on their reviews. For the longest while, DPReview only used to publish a "highly recommended, recommended, etc." rating on their cameras, and most if not all cameras worth their salt only received "Highly Recommended" ratings.

I only just noticed, and they seem to be going through and updating all their previously reviewed models as well, giving them a percentage score based on several factors (build quality, handling, high iso performance, low iso performance etc.). In addition, they're also awarding a "silver award" and "gold award" badge to cameras - and these are not linked to their scores, so a camera can score lower than a rival camera, but it might still get a "gold award" if the reviewer feels that the model is outstanding enough to deserve one.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/d...ngs_01.htm

Anyway, just wondering what you think of the new rating system? In the past I always used to go over every single positive and negative and weigh that up in my mind when comparing cameras - and ultimately forming my own judgement of what suits me best. Now I guess, they're bowing to the pressure of public opinion and awarding a "score" so cameras can be more easily compared.
I think that at one stage you get an understanding of which features you need or want and look for cameras that meet these needs. I can not tell whether a photo was taken using Nikon or Canon. In most cases, I can not tell (without pixel peeping) and under good lighting conditions whether the photo was taken with my Canon G11 (a fancy P&S) and Nikon D300. I can often tell photographers apart. I think that there is a very narrow group of photographers with great skills and specialized needs that can coax better images from one camera than already superb images from the other. I doubt I could tell a difference but i do believe that they could. So - I just look for features I convinced myself I need, stay with the brand i already invested in and try to learn more about the camera and lenses i already have, while fantasizing, and sometime purchasing a new lens or other accessory with hope that i will be able to do what I could not do before. DP review is one of my favorite sources, but i do find the numerical score irrelevant for me, because the reviewers naturally value different features differently than i do. I enjoy chatting about cameras, but i just prefer photographing over shopping (most of the time).
I agree with Pavel for the most part - dpreview is too focused on the minutiae of pixel peeking IMO - yet, I would not consider purchasing a new camera without reading their exhaustive tests - so bravo to them.

As for the numerical scores, I understand why they went to that system - and it is probably better.