DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: dust spots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have 2 spots from dust on my sensor. What can I do about it?
Live with it - Don. Its only something that pixel peepers are concerned with.You are bigger than that.
they sell kits for dust removal and with instructions. Bigger stores also offer a service at a reasonable cost. Vistek cleaned my D70 a few years back while I waited. Since I bought something that day, there was no charge. Upgrade to self-cleaning bodies when you have the cash and inclination. It works quite well on my D300, but it is now available on much cheaper models.

P
Don: sorry for my flippant response earlier - I misread your inquiry. Pavel is quite right. I bought a sensor cleaning kit including sterile swabs and cleaning solution. You need to take your time and be careful - but cleaning a sensor is not too hard. Read the instructions in detail.
Thanks guys. I liked your flippancy, Toad.
Success in cleaning sensor filter

I received my rocket blower in the mail today. I followed instructions in the D40 manual and as able to clear away the dust spots. I feel good.
Don't overdo it with a rocket blower Don, as you could blow more dust on to the sensor than you remove.
I sent mine away for a clean and it came back with a broken glass screen at the back. Sad (Official Canon approved repairer)
They fixed it and paid the postage, but it sort of puts you off. I also have a swab and fluid cleaning kit but have not used it yet. :/
well this was easy--one puff.
Nice.
Generally, avoid canned propellants: they have a habit of blowing out carrier liquid or oil onto the sensor, then making a wet clean inevitable. Don't be afraid of giving the sensor a gentle wipe with a soft sable brush: the sensor itself is underneath glass, so it's not actually dust on the sensor at all.
There's a nice big squeezy blower called the Rocket Blower: brill at safely removing dust.
My own modus operandi is:
when preparing camera for a sensor clean, have the camera on a tripod, face down. Give a blast with the rocket blower(the handheld bulb, not canned); then click the shutter to raise the mirror and give another blast. Then give a light wipe with a soft sable brush, then another blow. Finally..and only IF there's either oil or caked-on dust...give a wet-clean: wipe ONCE only with a swab lightly moistened with de-ionised distilled water. Then turn swab over and wipe ONCE again.
Throw any used swabs away.
Also, note that, like computer manufacturers with antivirus software, there are many sellers of sensor-cleaning stuff that love to scare us, as though the sensor is a delicate little piece that needs expensive mallarkey to remedy. This is nonsense. In fact, usually the only reason a wet clean has become necessary is for caked-dust/oily residue left by panicky users who either used canned air or overdid the cleaning fluid in the first place!
A rocket blower(bulb sort) and a soft small paintbrush are a more handy investment than various cleaning fluids/swabs, etc; de-ionised and distilled water is also a whole lot cheaper than the rip-off fluid that most manufacturers frighten us into believing that we need.
Sounds already like you got it licked Don!
Ouch NT: an experience like yours would have made me incandescent.
its clear now zig. Thanks.