DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Google announces new photo format - WebP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to Wikipedia, the JPEG standard was publicly released in 1992 which makes it over 18 years old - and is still the mainstream standard today for images. Google has announced a new image format - WebP (pronounced weppy) which is supposed to yield 40% better compression than the ageing JPEG, while preserving the same resolution and detail.

I've got a feeling that it's aimed more for the web (web graphics and pages, etc.) but who knows - maybe Google has the clout and influence to be able to push this new standard through.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/s...rmat-webp/
Why not a new format from a search engine.... GIF's were started by Compuserve back in the 80's.
Hmm. The problem as I see it isn't that there isn't anything better than jpeg - .png, jpeg200 come to mind - it's that they haven't been better enough to make people switch. Many people have a hard time resizing an image for email, or don't understand why a thumbnail downloaded from Farcebook won't give them a good 4x6 print. Microsoft hasn't made any headway with WMP (now known as "HD Photo" in an effort to maintain buzzword-compliance). Google might have some weight to back it up, but I have my doubts.
So true - look at how difficult it has been to get wide spread acceptance for DNG as a *standard* RAW format - and everybody except the camera manufacturers wants that...