DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: sony NEX -3 AND 5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi again .
seeing sony like getting the bucks out of you and dont have a video on the DSLR A 500 etc I was just wondering what the sony NEX-3 and 5 are like to shoot some video and pics from .I know the quality might not be the same but I have 4 minolta auto focus lenses which I thought I might be able to try on the NEX. I have read that you can put the lenses on the Nex but need an adapter ,is that right and can it video.just thought its nice and small and if fits my lenses that it would be great to have with my sony A-100 .:/
hope you can help.
What I have read is that Sony *will* offer an Alpha lens adapter - but I haven't heard that is actually available yet or that any other lenses than Sony alpha lenses will be supported. Ideally, you should be able to get third party adapters for any lens (i.e. Nikon, Canon, Minolta) - but you should Google to find out if any of these actually exist yet. The make of the lens doesn't matter much because none of them will autofocus on the NEX bodies.

The NEX cameras look like decent hardware - but the user interface has been quite soundly thrashed by the reviewing public as being dumbed down and not friendly to experienced users - i.e. requiring 8 key selections to set your ISO.

They both support shooting HD video.
thanks for that .
I was just going to use the minolta lenses for video at swedish rally and other events in conjuction with my DSLR sony etc .nice and small for second camera.but if the minolta lenses are not going to auto focus for the video there is no point in trying.Wink
bazzah0 Wrote:thanks for that .
I was just going to use the minolta lenses for video at swedish rally and other events in conjuction with my DSLR sony etc .nice and small for second camera.but if the minolta lenses are not going to auto focus for the video there is no point in trying.Wink
Definitely no autofocus - not that no autofocus is a bad thing - I am currently shooting Leica with no autofocus - and it can be a sublime thing. Kombisaurus online here has huge experience (successful) using MF lenses on GF-1. Kombi - sing out...
If you have a substantial number of alpha/minolta mount lenses, you might be better off waiting a few weeks (or so) and seeing what the Sony A33 and A55 are like. Not as small as the NEX series, but impressive cameras with a native alpha mount.

Toad Wrote:The NEX cameras look like decent hardware - but the user interface has been quite soundly thrashed by the reviewing public as being dumbed down and not friendly to experienced users - i.e. requiring 8 key selections to set your ISO.
Sony's put out some heavy-duty firmware updates that have completely changed how the interface behaves. I haven't been able to play with an updated model, but from the re-reviews I've seen, it has made a huge improvement.
matthew Wrote:If you have a substantial number of alpha/minolta mount lenses, you might be better off waiting a few weeks (or so) and seeing what the Sony A33 and A55 are like. Not as small as the NEX series, but impressive cameras with a native alpha mount.

Toad Wrote:The NEX cameras look like decent hardware - but the user interface has been quite soundly thrashed by the reviewing public as being dumbed down and not friendly to experienced users - i.e. requiring 8 key selections to set your ISO.
Sony's put out some heavy-duty firmware updates that have completely changed how the interface behaves. I haven't been able to play with an updated model, but from the re-reviews I've seen, it has made a huge improvement.
very interesting stuff thanks for that I will have to check it out. I would of thought you cannot use the NEX with manuel focus on the video.
The video side I was going to use on the NEX but I suppose the lens with the NEX is ok for that.
the Sony A55 sounds good but I am sure that sony will not bring out with video seeing all the sales they get from video recorders.
well I have just seen the Sony A33 on ebay and it looks good .I will have to bit my words about sonyWink .they have to keep up with the market I suppose.