DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Netbooks .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got a Medion Netbook for Christmas but when it arrived home the device was defective. They gave us the money back and now we are looking for a new one. My budget is about 200 euro, 167£, 267USD.

I am looking for a small laptop to take it

to my bed and read my blogs and forums, read and answer mails.
to my kitchen to read on line recipes and not to have to print the page.
to store my pictures in travels or photo sessions and be able to have a look at them.
to be able to work with LR to store, organize and perform basic post processing with my pictures.
to play mahjong in long trips... Wink

I know it is not so much money but there is for example a Samsung NC10 Emi Plus 25,7 cm (10,1 Zoll) Netbook (Intel Atom N450, 1,6GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Intel 3150, Win 7 Starter) and it is 270euro, or maybe wait until I have more money and buy something not bigger but better?

There is also a lot about Netbooks vs Laptops...

Thanks a lot for your advice.
I own a 10" netbook - the eeepc 1002HA. I like it a lot - particularly for travel because it doesn't need its own case - just the padded sleeve that comes with it. IT has a 160GB hard drive and a 10" screen. It does NOT have a CD player though. I use it for photo storage on the road and for the internet.
Thanks Toad for your comment. I saw it and it is really nice... it is more or less under the price I was thinking.... Smile
My wife uses a 10 inch netbook (ASUS 1008HA) and it's great mainly for internet browsing. Note that most 10 inch netbooks have a 1024 x 600 resolution screen which is very limiting, especially in the vertical range. When using applications such as picasa (i haven't tried lightroom) the working area is extremely small and is not very pleasant to use for photo editing long term. In addition, the processor is not the most powerful which means that heavy processing is probably out of the question as well.

So it will probably meet all your requirements except for:
> to be able to work with LR to store, organize and perform basic post processing with my pictures.

Just food for thought - they are great for travel, but not so much for heavy photo processing.
Excellent point Jules - I should have mentioned that.
Thanks a lot for your comment, Jules. It is great to know that working with LR is not for this kind of devices.

I don't know how other photographers do this, but when I go to take pictures for web to a building or family portraits. I like very much to be able to show to my clients their pictures just after the session so they can chose what they want to have and only post process those. It would reduce a lot my work.

If I don't have the chance to show my pictures after the shooting, they have to come to my home see all pictures which I should have already post process for them to chose what they want, burn a CD at this moment and they have to wait and all looks a little clumsy.

Juergen thought about this because I wanted something small and mainly for internet but having the chance $$$ Big Grin to get something new, I would like to have something that helps to my work as well... Wink