DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Who says you need weather-sealing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Actually, from the same site that Jules gave us the half-sawn Leica lenses: here
Heck, if you can do this to a 5DII, I'm just thinking how much abuse to give my 1DsII.
Just because it can doesn't mean it should, or always will:

luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked:
Quote:The largest group of failures through were among the Canon 5D MKIIs. Of the 26 samples of this camera onboard, one quarter (six) failed at one time or another, and while three recovered, the other three never did. In all cases it appeared to be water or humidity damage. Of particular concern were two cameras which stopped working while completely protected within Kata rain covers during a light rain ashore. They came back to life the following day though and were mostly fine for the rest of the trip, but one died permenently just before the end of our voyage.
(my emphasis)

Stop me if you've seen this one of mine:
[Image: flower-practice-8099.jpg]

It just so happens that I used that same camera to take this last weekend:
[Image: i-z3zTHD9-L.jpg]

Of course, it can't compete with a waterproof point-and-shoot:
[Image: i-r8Mkd9B-L.jpg]

I suppose I'm one of the people who needs weather-sealing… Wink
Time to get one of these, where the case costs more than the camera Big Grin Big Grin
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/naut...1_housing/

(Very nice case though, I must say!)
Ha!
Yes, whenever I get tempted to flog the 1Ds for a 5D2, I tell myself that if I get the urge to do a widey-by-the-sea, I'll be mullered before an hour.