DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: An interesting article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.bythom.com/ The article: "How Thick is Your Skin?"
The initial dynamic range bit, yes? (If it wasn't, the next bit I've written will be superfluous! Big Grin )
I couldn't agree more: digital exposure requires as much knowledge of what light does as any other form of photography, with darkroom processing subsumed by a knowledge of other tools to achieve pre-considered objectives. For a snapper to think dynamic range options are reduced in contrasty conditions is merely to reveal their lack of knowledge about what light does: simply, if there's more of it, more can be done with it.
It certainly does not need, however, a range of arcane bits of software, though these are preferred as they take less effort and knowledge: technology addiction leading to disempowerment once again, in my humble. Even in earlier photoshop incarnations(like my CS2 "dinosaur") I'm aware that most photographers know next to nothing about the capabilities of the Shadows/Highlights menu or the use of layers.
Nik's effects are well thought-out and useful..and laughing all the way to the bank. I'd personally recommend Power Retouche's dynamic range compressor, being miles cheaper, if folks want to speed up in their extraction of detail...and furthermore to start with the basics of intelligent metering/exposure followed by informed raw conversion to 16-bit/channel tifs.
Oddly enough, I shot some pics of some old boats in very bright and overhead sunlight the other day, and ran into the same challenges; am posting these in the "journo" section if anyone's interested.
Zig - sorry - the article: "How Thick is Your Skin?" I was very confused reading your reply. I think I get it now - it was not related to the article I thought I sent a link to. I was not explicit enough
Hahahaha! Big Grin
No harm done Pavel...that'll teach me to start the day with a rant! Big Grin
Very interesting article Pavel, it made think about my actual stage in my photography. I wrote a huge comment on this, but it was my own thoughts about my own photography... It was a good practice... Wink
Irma, I would love to see your comments. Would you be willing to share, by e-mail or by posting?
Mail sent... Smile