DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Samyang lenses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You guys may already know that, but Samyang is beating big boys in the art of lensmaking. It is not a fluke with just one lens. It is their whole line. Their lenses are very well built and they are optically superb. The only downside is - no electronics. For those of you salivating over Zeiss, that should not be an issue. The price is bargain basement for top notch lenses. I would certainly consider this company before buying any new stuff. Check them out on Photozone. Most are reviewed with Cannon mount, some with Nikon. I love their fisheye - the only lens of theirs I actually own.
I hope to see some fish photos taken with your fisheye lens from your latest maritime adventure.

.....Dennis
I have also heard positive reviews of their lenses - and the fisheye gets called out frequently as being particularly good. With the DOF a fisheye, auto-focus isn't really an issue anyway...
@ Dennis - not fish but boats. It was cruel what I did to them with a fisheye
@Robert - focus is not much of an issue either - everything from about 10 cm on is sharp
Take your point, and I agree they're getting well-deserved plaudits, but to be fair "beating big boys" and "salivating over Zeiss".... are perhaps a wee bit hyperbolic Pavel..?

That said, they've been helpful enough to provide a depth of field scale with their 35/1.4..and even though it's a plastic stop-down only job, it makes darn good sense to those on a budget who would weigh up the £320 for that against 3 times that for the Canon. I personally at this price point would edge up to the Voigtlander 40...a bit slower, but metal and with focus-confirm, both of which(hypothetically) would justify for the the extra £60 for the latter.
Looking at the reviews – I've always liked photozone – I have to say that I'd be interested in the fisheye, if fisheyes were something I was interested in, but not any of their others. The 85/1.4 seems decent, but I wouldn't trade my 85/1.8D for it, even if the /1.4 had autofocus.

If I'm looking for ultimate lens quality, I'm still reaching for my Zeiss lenses – five of them in two different mounts – or the Nikkor 85PC-E. They'll all manual focus, so it's not that I'm an AF snob, but on the other hand the 105VR and 85/1.8D are also excellent lenses. For that matter, when the 50/1.8s of the world are stopped down to f/4, they also produce excellent results… just like the Samyang 85/1.4.