DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Sale prices for:-
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Offers at Jessops UK only.

Olympus Pen E-PL1 with 14-42 lens £279

Sony Nex-5 with 16mm and 18-55 lenses £499.95 after £50 cash back. (until 31-8-11) i.e you pay £549.95 and then get £50.00 back plus info on all the other sony offers Wink.
There are some impressive prices around on very respectable cameras. B&H (New York) cleared out their remaining Panasonic GH1 bodies at $400US each, and their remaining G2 bodies have gone from $350 down to $300. While there's not much that these cameras can do without a lens, it's pretty incredible that these cameras – which aren't vastly inferior to the models that replace them – can be had for about the price of a decent point-and-shoot.
It seems to me to be all about selling the next best thing to sliced bread. Rolleyes
Until a new style of loaf comes along.
Downsizing - upsizing - resizing , it's all about getting your money. :|
Don't tell me that's a response to Toad mentioning upsizing...:|
Now I'm lost...
Whilst looking in camera shop (window) Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad etc., film cameras are to be had for the price of a cheap P&S.
Last time I entered the shop, rather than looking in the window, it cost me an arm and a leg. Rolleyes Well 3 legs actually. Big Grin
Sorry Toad and all: my reply was to a bit of (now deleted) spam advertising a, er, certain male product...

I confess that most of the time I try to have the eminently sensible cash-restraint as mentioned by nt...until the moment I do not, whereupon I allow acquisition fever to dictate a purchase.
As said, though, it makes so much sense in a way to buy an "older" generation of camera: the perceived speed of obsolescence really can work in our favour if we're prepared to wait even a year or so. The NEX-5 particularly has so much going for it, what with its sensor-size and front-end possibilities, given its present upgrade. Yet we do have a trade-off point perhaps with quirky interface and a few other issues.
NT also reminds me of just a few very short years ago: high-end 35mm and medium-format took much saving-up...with the impetus for such discliplining of the wallet being the reliable longevity of what we were buying into.
Now we are somewhat fooled by the nature of what is considered "future-proof": we are on the one hand expected to pay a premium for that which is safeguarded against the future, as if the "future" is some rapacious disease of obsolescence and malfunction, or at least more hard work! On the other hand, as NT says, if one decided to be somewhat left-field in their approach and resort to a combo of film negative processing and scanning, there is absolutely no doubt that superior image quality, excellence of hardware and cheap outlay are all completely achieved for the equivalent outlay on an entry-level dSLR.
Zig Wrote:as NT says, if one decided to be somewhat left-field in their approach and resort to a combo of film negative processing and scanning, there is absolutely no doubt that superior image quality, excellence of hardware and cheap outlay are all completely achieved for the equivalent outlay on an entry-level dSLR.
I never said that (well not in so many words) Big Grin
Yeah, not the second bit; I was in a hurry.