DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Nikon Facebook Fail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know not many of us use facebook here, but Nikon posted something on their official facebook account that's been causing a stir on the interwebs. So far it's received 2500 comments, many taking offence to the perceived arrogance...

[Image: nikonfail.png]

One of the folllowup comments:

Quote:A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door; the host said 'I love your pictures – they're wonderful; you must have a fantastic camera.' he said nothing until dinner was finished, then; 'That was a wonderful dinner; you must have a terrific stove."
Touche... Big Grin
A bit like saying a workman is only as good as his/her tools. I suppose it depends what job you are doing with them. I think better tools make any job easier to complete, provided you have the knowledge of how to use them in the first place. But of course this is generalising. A camel hair artists brush set will not make a lemur a great artist. :|
I like that Nikon is asking if anyone who follows them actually uses their products. That's the internet equivalent of calling "Is there anybody out there?" if I ever heard it.
Agree with everything said here including the anonymous post quoted. When somebody says "you must have a good camera", it irritates me to no end, and it doesn't help my counter argument that I have good cameras.

I am reminded of some of the people that I know carrying top line DSLRs with L lenses (or their Nikon, Leica, Olympus, and Sony equivalents), who take absolutely awful pictures.
Nikon posted this on their twitter feed about ten hours ago:

@Nikon_USA Wrote:"We apologize some took offense to yesterday’s FB post: A great photo can be taken anytime, the right gear will only help you along the way."
Hasselblad may have a sense of humour, or at least an opportunistic streak:

@hassyusa Wrote:At Hasselblad, we believe you have the talent, we just have the tools. Do you click with Hasselblad? Click to find out: http://bit.ly/n4kFUA
Ha ha, well played, Hasselblad. How about:

@leica wrote:

At Leica, we believe you have the money and we have the tools. Do you have the cold hard cash in your bank account? Click to find out: .... Big Grin Big Grin
That really was a bit dumb of Nikon and almost sounding like a Rescue Me plea for someone with insecurity issues. Their "apology" on Twitter sounded as if they had the gumption to be shamefaced, yet lacked te necessary humility. The Hasseblad snip was a suitable yet appropriate low jab, an eye-watering slap with the slimmest olive branch..nice!