DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Behind the Scenes at the Nikon 1 Factory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a short (mostly pictorial) tour of the factory in China producing the new Nikon 1 range. Apparently, the factory in the Wuxi province is the same place where they produce their coolpix line as well. From my reading, all the low end compacts are now produced in China and Indonesia - I wonder whether it's telling as to where it sits in terms of quality...

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/behi...1_factory/

Interestingly, a lot of the work is done by hand, including painting the logo on the front of the camera...
Very interesting, seeing the components of a camera laid out on a table, rather than in a lump. As to the lifestyle of the workers, I am sure it beats a paddy field. Wink

I have thought and said many times we are fortunate or unfortunate to be born where we are born, but unless you are aware of the others lifestyle, then why should it bother you.
The western folk who say never buy a Nikon of Canon (because of slave labour) will be saying this from their Chinese or Japanese computers or via their mobiles, but moan like hell when the prices rise. Rolleyes
Very true about awareness, but unfortunately these days almost everyone has access to the internet and western TV shows...

Spot on with the consumerism - although I think companies seeking to maximise profit by offshoring production is also to blame. The managers can pat themselves on the back when they reduce costs, and also allows them to be price competitive against their rivals. Discounting ensues and then the cycle starts again. Meanwhile everyone at the bottom end gets squeezed...