DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Why do you take photos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought it would be interesting to ask the question. Some people have a camera just so they can say they've got one. Others take photos for the memories. Still others pursue it as an art form.

What made you buy a digital camera, end why do you take photos? Does the original reason still hold true?
In my case it's a little bit of all of the above. I've always been intrigued as photography as an art form. Bright, vivid images of things, and places inspire me to try and capture the environment that surrounds us. I know that my work will never make it into a book, but now the Web let's me share some of my efforts and hopefully makes someone say, "Wow, what a nice shot".

The other reason is for the memories. I love shoveling through old shoeboxes filled with family photos. Reminising with my wife and kids on times past. Life moves on so quickly, it amazes me even when looking back at photos that are only 6 months or a year old how much has changed.

Finally, I must admit that I love having people come up and ask me "is that a Digital Rebel?" Big Grin
is that a Digital Rebel?

hehe,
I like memories, to record things I see, events; like I look back at all those crazy pictures I took in highschool. Big Grin fun fun
Like a documentary of highschool fun in pictures.
and events I shoot, also like documentary.

I giggle when people say "Your camera takes nice pictures"
My original reason for starting to take pictures was that I was an avid hillwalker and hiker. I just loved being in the countryside.

So I got my parents to buy me a camera, and that way I could take pictures and bring them home, and when i couldn't get into the hills, I could look at them at least.

And that holds true 24 years later... 85% of my pictures are still landscapes and animals. I switched to Digital because it was so much cheaper... and instant, no waiting for the photolab.
For me it's an art. It's like painting. I like to hang my own pictures on the wall. I don't enjoy much watching albums with family pictures, but I like pictures that convey something, like happiness, sadness, things like this.
I'm with Guerito on the one. Art first - and I consider much of what I do to be art - even if it is juvenile.

Maybe "visual impact" would be a better phrase than "art" - the word "art" has so much baggage associated with it - you are expected to be mature and serious.