DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: How seriously do you take iPhone/Smartphone photography?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know many traditionalists would thumb their noses at photos from mobile cameras in general, but do you think perception is changing?

For one, Dpreview is looking to hire a mobile imaging editor which either is a clear indicator that they consider it a serious market, or they are pre-empting so they don't get caught on the back foot if/when it takes off.

How about on a personal level - do you shoot much on your mobile? Do you ever use those resulting photos in prints, albums, etc?

For me I still find the whole photo taking experience challenging on the mobile, but for accessibility and availability the phone wins hands down. It's on me all the time so it's a no brainer. They only ever end up on facebook though, I probably would never consider using them for prints or albumising them.

My wife on the other hand has no hesitation in using mobile photos her prints and photo albums, and doesn't discriminate as to whether it's a 18 MP capture from my Canon 7D, or a 8 MP capture from the phone.
The smart phone camera is all automated. I think the results for candids or snapshots are ok--sometimes even very good.
Very seriously in that it is the one camera that is *always* with me. Technology romps along, and it won't be too many years before the smartphone camera replaces the compact point and shoot altogether in my opinion.
Looks like someone who is taking it seriously is Nokia. They've announced today the Nokia 808 Pureview, with a 41MP sensor. Yes, you read that right - it produces a higher MP output than a Nikon D800. To achieve that, they employ a sensor that is much larger than conventional mobile phone sensors (almost as large as the new Nikon 1 sensor) and also some pixel binning *ahem* trickery *ahem*...

Quote:The first thing to realize is that this isn't a standard 1/3.2" mobile phone sensor, it's an unusual and remarkably large 1/1.2" type (five times larger). In fact, it's almost three times the size of the sensors in most compact cameras. As a result, its photosites are the same size as those in most 8.2MP cameraphone but the 808 doesn't try to create an image of the same quality, 5 times bigger. Instead it oversamples the image and then pixel-bins down to a smaller size (though there is a special 'creative' shooting mode if you want the full resolution - 38MP at 4:3 aspect ratio, 36MP at 16:9)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/27/...1MP-sensor

Thank goodness it mostly outputs 5 or 8MP images in the default modes otherwise you would only be able to fit 7 images on your phone. Big Grin Big Grin
I don't know if "seriously" is the right word, Obviously I'd never use this for commercial jobs BUT I do believe in the right tool for the job and I think modern cell phones are excellent at capturing the "kodak" moments of your day. I love shooting with mine!
Precisely! It doesn't matter what camera you have at home if it's at home, what matters is the camera you have on you at all times!
True. I'm done logging big DSLRs. I use a compact Panasonic LX3 70% of the time, and a petite Pentax k-x with a 50mm lens most of the rest. They also help me get by unnoticed while photographing people. I am anxious in upgrading my cell phone. Sometimes it's the only camera I've got. And you know the saying, when you leave your camera home, you get to see astronauts flying on the sky and zebras dancing on the street.
(Dec 11, 2012, 17:46)vlad Wrote: [ -> ]And you know the saying, when you leave your camera home, you get to see astronauts flying on the sky and zebras dancing on the street.

Thats the Jack Daniels or Vodka that gives you strange visions. Angel
(Dec 11, 2012, 19:18)NT73 Wrote: [ -> ]
(Dec 11, 2012, 17:46)vlad Wrote: [ -> ]And you know the saying, when you leave your camera home, you get to see astronauts flying on the sky and zebras dancing on the street.

Thats the Jack Daniels that gives you strange visions. Angel

That's impossible! I'm more of a Johnnie Walker type.

Big Grin Big Grin