DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Trying out the focus magnifyer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I received the magnifier yesterday. It claims to magnify the viewfinder 2.3 times. Actually the lens itself is pretty shoddy. When I looked at it off camera it doesn't work like a magnifier--works more like a reducer lens but It magnifies a small central portion of the viewfinder image on the camera. It has an adjustment to fit the user's vision but the adjustment keeps shifting. It's also fairly clumsy--sticking out an inch or so from the back of the camera. It folds over so you can see the full viewfinder when you wish.

[attachment=230]

I think there is some advantage to using the aid ehrn focussing both for long and macro shots. Examples below. In summary, it is a big modification of the way one carries and uses the camera, but it may help some. (top without the aid, bottom with)

[attachment=230]

[attachment=231]

I guess that I could see using this for tabletop macro shots. Looks kind of big and awkward for everyday use, though.
Completely agree. And it's hard to keep taking it off and putting it back on.
Thanks for sharing the feedback...

Yeah looks a bit unwieldly, but as Toad says I can see it being useful in certain situations - e.g. on a tripod or taking macros, but I couldn't see myself using it for everyday use.
I think I'm going to use it for a while. I really need help with focus. I've been able to post some photos without re-touching.