DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Wal Mart still selling Sony Mavicas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a blast from the past: apparently some Wal Mart still has Sony Mavicas on their shelves - the FD200 which takes 2MP images and saves them to 1.44 Mb floppy disks. On sale for $279, down from $1000 back in 2002.

http://gizmodo.com/5902134/wal-mart-sell...ra-for-300

[attachment=279]

Takes me down memory lane. My first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 775 took 2MP images as well, and used AA batteries. I was always envious of my co-worker, who had the black Coolpix 950, that did that funky split twist thing...

What was your first digital camera?
Aside from a Radio Shack experimental thing--it was a Casio Q something (3 meg with non-zooming lens). It was a gift from my son's Japanese inlaws when I met them at his wedding in Winnipeg. We gave them an inuit sculpture in return.
Good trade! Big Grin
Canon S40 - 4MPx for me. Great little camera actually.
Fuji f420 - Great while it worked (11 months) Angry
My wife had a Fuji 2800 zoom (64mb smart card) I wonder if Pavel could use them (stacked) on his Nikon 800. Big Grin

I think I had a freebie one first - about 130 mm long and 20 x 20 . A lot mickey mouse though. Dodgy
Mine was a Kodak DC200+ bought in late 1998. 1MP and came with a 4mb CF card, Want to say I paid around £250 for it. It would take around 50-60 pictures on a set of 4 AA batteries.

And it actually still works 13 years later!
[Image: DC200A.JPG]

I have the receipt for my first digital camera sitting right next to me.

Purchased March 22, 2003:

Canon S400 ('digital Elph', 4mp) $675
Canon NB-LH1 extra battery: $50
Sandisk Ultra 128MB CF card: $ 100
…and they included a Lowepro D-Res 8 case for free.

Taxes then were 15%, bringing the total to 948.76.

To convert for inflation, multiply everything by 1.18.

That camera stayed behind when I upgraded households in 2006, but I doubt that it's working today simply because the rechargeable batteries have a three-to-five-year life expectancy. Finding a replacement for the battery is likely to cost more than the camera is 'worth', but it took good photos and I had also bought an underwater case for it, so perhaps it still soldiers on. But I doubt it.

My second digital camera was a Sony F828, which retired to the sunnier climate of San Antonio, Texas after years of use. It's still going strong and sends me a postcard every now and then. The oldest digital camera that I still own is my Olympus E-1, which was Digital Camera #3.
(Apr 18, 2012, 17:05)matthew Wrote: [ -> ]That camera stayed behind when I upgraded households in 2006...

heh heh heh

(Apr 18, 2012, 17:05)matthew Wrote: [ -> ]I have the receipt for my first digital camera sitting right next to me.

That's fascinating Matthew, I wish I could remember how much I paid for my first one. I still remember tossing up between 16mb and 32mb compactflash cards...

Funny how ten years on I'm still using compactflash cards in my 7D. Big Grin
I paid $180 for a 32mb CF card for that Kodak...Paid less than $60 for 2x4GB cards 2 years ago.
Good to know! I'm off to Wal-Mart to upgrade my equipment.
Julian, look on the bright side – you could have been working on an Olympus camera collection. They started with Smartmedia, moved on to xD, supplemented with CF, and now need SD cards.

Last month I bought a class 10 Sandisk 64GB SD card for my D800 from B&H. $60. That would only pay for five rolls of developed film, and it's even reusable.

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/84..._Card.html)
Canon pro90 - an awesome camera at the time.
(Apr 17, 2012, 22:07)shuttertalk Wrote: [ -> ]Re: Wal Mart still selling Sony Mavicas
Here's a blast from the past: apparently some Wal Mart still has Sony Mavicas on their shelves - the FD200 which takes 2MP images and saves them to 1.44 Mb floppy disks. On sale for $279, down from $1000 back in 2002.

why would Wal Mart still sell those at an insane price for its obsolete features? collectors' item?
They were also very slow even then.