DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: My First Art Exhibition ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
West Vancouver (a suburb of Vancouver) sponsors a series of exhibitions each year that highlight the work of local up-and-coming artists. I have recently learned that my portfolio has been chosen by the selection committee – and that my work will be featured as half of a 2 photographer show: June 1 – June 30.

I need to select 15-17 of my best works, mount and frame them for the gallery display. Historically, many of the works at the exhibitions have sold during the month.

So – here are the things I am not sure about: anybody that has insights – please help me out.

- Do people typically number photographs like art prints? i.e. #7 of 45

- Does anybody have any perspective on sizing? My gut feeling is to make small prints – 11x14 or smaller (not counting mattes/frames) – but I don’t really know. I suspect smaller photos will sell better than larger ones. I just haven’t seen many “large” photos displayed in people’s homes, but I have seen smaller ones.

- Anybody want to help me in my final selection of photos to exhibit? I have a group of photos selected – but I have to cut the number roughly in half. A lot of them have been featured here – so if anybody has a favorite – please let me know – I lose perspective on my own work.

I am sure that I will have a hundred more questions in the next few months. Thanks in advance.
Congratulations, Toad! Big Grin

I'd like to help, but I'm entirely clueless in the art business. Only thing I can do is tell you what pictures I like most. It would be easier, though, if you uploaded them to a user gallery where they are easy to review...
Great!
Congratulations, Toad!

Of course! If you think I can be of any help.... yes sure... at least I can say what I feel when I see something or what makes me think about...
Congrats Toad!

guerito Wrote:It would be easier, though, if you uploaded them to a user gallery where they are easy to review...
I agree, create a album here at ST where we can rate your photos & leave comments, etc. One suggestion, if I may, is to stick to 2 or 3 series/themes. I've always thought a nice coherent grouping is nicer to look at than a random group of photos - further, you may sell a pair or set!!

A reminder before you start framing is that http://www.pictureframes.com/ is a great place to test-drive frames and mattes even if you don't order from them... you could even post the framed images from pictureframes.com for us to critique! Wink
Congrats Toad! What an awesome experience it must be!

I agree with Cailean -- pop up your candidates in the gallery and we'll choose the best ones for you Big Grin
shuttertalk Wrote:I agree with Cailean -- pop up your candidates in the gallery and we'll choose the best ones for you

I don't think that really works for me. I feel like I am taking a big risk with this thing, and my confidence level is quite fragile. [edit] To clarify - I do not want to subject all the photos that I consider my best to an extended technical critique session - I may do some minor editing, but the photos are what they are at this point. I need to be focussing on selection and presentation.[end edit]

I wouldn't mind working with a couple of people offline on it though - if anyone would like to help, please send me a private message.

Thanks!
Cailean Wrote:One suggestion, if I may, is to stick to 2 or 3 series/themes. I've always thought a nice coherent grouping is nicer to look at than a random group of photos - further, you may sell a pair or set!!

Good advice - thank much.
Well I don't know anything about such exhibits, but congratulations!

Oh, you have a PM. Smile
Right on Toadster. Woohoo! Big Grin
I believe small sizes are better. Houses are getting smaller, no room for big pictures/frames. People tend to move now more than before, transportation is easier if they are smaller also easier to place in another home. Big walls now a days are decorated with a "collage" of small pictures with irregular pictures sizes and frames... I consider, big pictures suit best Hotels or big conference room in the companies...
Enthusiastic congratulations from me! And no envy because I am retired. lol
--Don